Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am trying to configure the scan to email function in a HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4101dw. When I try to test I receive generic errors with no real information to help me troubleshoot the issue. Where can I find the detailed error logs to help me?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@JohnDamico2160 

Welcome to the HP Community --

Scanner Advanced FeaturesScan to cloud (Google Drive and DropBox) Scan to email with LDAP email address lookup, Scan to network folder, Scan to USB, Scan to Microsoft SharePoint®, Scan to computer with software, Fax archive to network folder, Fax archive to email, Fax to computer, Enable/disable fax, Quick Sets

Interesting that any error message is completely generic -- I would have expected at least a hint.

Not having other then "error" does make the source of the problem a larger target.

Example

A common "miss" is the need for the inclusion of an APP Password (created in the email provider's security section).

What?

Many email providers now require stronger security for third party apps that want access to the provider's mail servers.  "Scan to Email" qualifies as a "third party app" for this purpose.

An App Password example  - Based on my own printer's setup

Open your email's security website >

Enable 2-Step Verification (or "2FA")

Create an App Password 

>>> Make note of that password <<<

When setting up your Scan to Email (EWS Section General > Email Servers)

Enter the App Password created for this purpose in place of your regular Email Password.

What else?

There is no "log of errors" for this venture.

There is information on how to set up Scan to Email -- by inference, there might be something included in the description to help you understand where the Profile is failing.

HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4101 - HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102 - User Guide 

Start reading on Page 57

Example  EWS - Scan to Email - Email Servers / Scan to Email - OfficeJet Pro 9135e.

EWS_9135_Scan_to_Email_Default_Options_3EWS_9135_Scan_to_Email_Default_Options_3

=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open 

Product Home - Printers

Enter the device type and model name of your HP product

OR

Select a saved product from HP Account Dashboard

OR

HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4101dw Printer  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.