Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

HP Office Jet Pro 6978 downloaded an update with firmware that blocked the use of 3d-party ink cartridges that i have used successfully before.  How to get around?  I've looked at solutions posted but have not been able to 'walk-thru' the process to eliminate the block that HP put on my printer via an update. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Carroll1746,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

HP's firmware updates occasionally include measures to block the use of third-party ink cartridges, which can be frustrating for users who prefer them for cost or other reasons. There are a few potential workarounds you can try.

• Rollback Firmware: Some users have had success rolling back the firmware to a previous version that doesn't include the block on third-party cartridges. You would need to find and download the previous firmware version from HP's website and then follow instructions on how to install it on your printer. However, this may not always be possible as HP sometimes prevents downgrading firmware.
  • Disable Automatic Updates: If your printer has an option to disable automatic firmware updates, you can turn this off to prevent future updates that may block third-party cartridges. This option is typically found in the printer's settings menu or through the HP Smart app.
  • Use Reset Chips: Some third-party ink cartridge manufacturers sell reset chips or resetting tools that can bypass the printer's cartridge detection system. These chips or tools essentially trick the printer into recognizing the third-party cartridge as genuine. However, this method may void your printer's warranty and could potentially cause issues with print quality or functionality.

Keep in mind that any attempt to modify your printer's firmware or use third-party products may void your warranty or cause other issues. Proceed with caution and consider the potential risks before attempting any workaround.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.