Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart D7160 Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I have an old, but  new, never used D7160 printer that I bought as a "spare" quite a few years ago.  The first printer stopped working recently and I finally unpacked the spare, but there were no Setup cartridges in the box.  The printer still had all of the packing tape on it, so I know it had never been used.  I was able to get into the MFG Command menu and then the UIAUX menu, but I don't have a list of codes to use to bypass the setup cartridges.  Similar questions have been asked before, and the answers are usually a canned response that doesn't apply to this printer - I need the specific codes for a D7160, not the generic key presses that don't work for this one - there is no numeric keypad, so anything that starts with "Press #" is not correct!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi @MariettaGuy,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

Bypassing the setup cartridge requirement for an HP Photosmart D7160 printer can be tricky, especially without access to specific codes and procedures. However, here are some general steps that might help you get the printer working. Note that this involves accessing the service or maintenance mode, which can vary slightly between models.

Enter Service Mode:

• Power off the printer.
  • Hold down the OK button and the Help button simultaneously.
  • While holding these buttons, press the Power button to turn on the printer.
  • Continue to hold the OK and Help buttons until the printer boots up into service mode.

Accessing the UIAUX Menu:

• Once in service mode, use the Arrow keys to navigate to the UIAUX menu.
  • Press OK to select.

Bypassing Setup Cartridges:

• This step usually requires entering specific codes to bypass the setup cartridge requirement. Unfortunately, without exact codes for the D7160, it's a bit of trial and error. However, you can try the following:
    • Navigate to System Config Menu.
    • Look for an option related to NVM Init or NVM Reset (Non-Volatile Memory). This can reset the printer's internal memory and potentially bypass the setup cartridge requirement.
    • Be cautious with NVM reset as it can also reset other printer settings.

Use Regular Cartridges:

• After attempting the bypass, install regular HP 02 cartridges. Ensure they are properly recognized by the printer.

Perform a Hard Reset:

• Turn off the printer and disconnect the power cord.
  • Wait for about a minute, then reconnect the power cord and turn on the printer.

If these steps do not work, you may need to try contacting HP support for detailed service codes or consider using a chip resetter device, which can reset the chip on the cartridges to fool the printer into thinking they are setup cartridges.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Nope... not even close!  I really don't want a "generic solution" from someone who knows nothing about the printer in question!  This printer doesn't even have a "HELP" button, so the beginning of your instructions fail.  However, I already know how to get into the MFG menu... I just need to know what values need to be changed - there is nothing that mentions cartridges.  Perhaps there is a technical manual somewhere at HP that has the information - the support page just sends me back here!

HP Recommended

Hi @MariettaGuy ,

We are sorry that the issue is not resolved when the above troubleshooting steps were performed.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am not able to get to an option for a phone call.  Once I enter the serial number, the only options displayed are for Instant Ink support, or HP Community... which just brings me back here.  Where can I find a phone number to talk to an actual person?  Or do I need to go to a physical office to find a real person?

All I want is either the actual codes to override the setup cartridges, or the actual setup cartridges!  I realize that different printers have different codes - that's why I put the model number in my original question!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.