Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am getting the error 79 on my screen and can't use my printer

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Foxhole72,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd be happy to help you! 

Reset the printer:

• Turn the printer off using the power switch, and then wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Turn the printer on and wait for it to initialize.
  • If you are using a surge protector:
  • Turn the printer off.
  • Remove the surge protector.
  • Plug the printer directly into the wall socket, and then turn the printer on.
  • If the error persists, turn the printer off and disconnect any network or USB cables.
  • Reconnect the cables and turn the printer on.
  • If the printer returns to Ready, check the firmware version. Update the firmware if a newer version is available.
  • For more information, go to HP LaserJet Pro - Update the printer firmware.
  • If the error is intermittent, attempt to isolate the issue to something specific in the environment, such as a specific file or connection type. For example, the error message appears when printing a PDF file or webpage.
  • If printing a webpage, try a different browser.
  • If printing a PDF file, try one of the following:
  • Use the PCL 6 driver and set Print Data Optimization to Optimize for Raster.
  • NOTE:
  • Use the model-specific (not UPD) PCL 6 driver.
  • Open Devices and Printers, right-click the printer, and select Printing Preferences.
  • Click the Advanced tab, and from the Print Data Optimization drop-down, select Optimize for Raster.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Use the PCL 6 Driver and enable the Send TrueType as Bitmap option.
  • NOTE:
  • Use the model-specific (not UPD) PCL 6 driver.
  • Open Devices and Printers, right-click the printer, and select Printing Preferences.
  • Click the Advanced tab, and under Printer Features, enable the Send TrueType as Bitmap option.
  • Click Apply, and then click OK.
  • Use the PCL 5 driver to print.
  • If the error persists, contact your HP-authorized service or support provider, or contact customer support at www.hp.com/go/contactHP.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please mark this post as Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.