Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Deskjet ink advantage 3835
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

initially when i brought the printer i used genuine ink cartridges. It cost more than what i thought. simply more expensive.

then i used refill inks . it worked fine without any error . but recently its not accepting my colour cartridge. i think hp latest firmware ruined something . so send me or guide me how to install old firmware. Please consider this i brought that printer because it is low cost but now i'm spending more money for buying ink its actually half of my printer price. i need immediate response..........

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@ARASU2 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand after upgrading the firmware on your printer you are unable to use the refilled inks.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

I have checked few records found few articles about why the refilled ink cartridges don't work.

HP is constantly improving security for its products and customers. Beginning in late 2015, HP implemented updates to the firmware related to the security chip in HP OfficeJet, OfficeJet Pro and OfficeJet Pro X printers that maintain secure communications between the cartridge and the printer. The purpose of this update is to protect HP’s innovations and intellectual property. These printers will continue to work with refilled or remanufactured cartridges with an Original HP security chip. Other cartridges may not function. In many cases this functionality was installed in the HP printer and in some cases, it has been implemented as part of an update to the printer’s firmware.

Here's the thing, yes, you can refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems.

QualityLogic, one of the world's foremost quality assurance organizations, tested the performance of HP inkjet print cartridges vs. remanufactured (refilled) brands. The results: original HP inkjet print cartridges far surpassed ink refills in both print quality and reliability.
Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely
70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem
Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing. You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.

However, you can try the following document to troubleshoot ink cartridge issues.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

this is not the actual solution i requested sir, i have already read that document about cartridge issues. if the customer requesting a solution for a serious problem.....you guys again telling about ink tech. i wish to downgrade my firmware of my printer, if it doest happens then there is no other options i need to throw that out. the price of original hp inks are at the peak. i cant afford that much money only for buying inks.....so i'm requesting again please help me on downgrading the firmware of my printer. .......please

HP Recommended

this is not the actual solution i requested sir, i have already read that document about cartridge issues. if the customer requesting a solution for a serious problem.....you guys again telling about ink tech. i wish to downgrade my firmware of my printer, if it doest happens then there is no other options i need to throw that out. the price of original hp inks are at the peak. i cant afford that much money only for buying inks.....so i'm requesting again please help me on downgrading the firmware of my printer. .......please

HP Recommended

@ARASU2

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

sir then i dont know for what the hp community  is.......?

i already had a thought of calling agent on hp. if there is any actual solution you guys would informed me. but rather than that you  guys  need me to spend my whole time on dailing for the agent and checking the community for any positive update.

please consider your customer also as a human. these kind of ignorance doesnt makes any sense.

what if i didnt get any positive response from from your hp customer support agent? ?

HP Recommended

Just now i checked contact options.........sir . why this much complications on finding customer support number. when i entered my serial number it checked my warranty. then it again asking me to consult with the hp community. i have checked all over that website . there is no any actual contact number of customer support agent. i also made chat with that virtual bot.

first i need to ensure you guys really helping me or trying to make fun or something. I'm requesting so may times . You guys not considering my issues as serious one.

just now i'm realising that's my mistake on buying hp product......

if you really want to help me give me the solution here or please give that customer support contact number (I'm from India)

HP Recommended

@ARASU2,

Download available firmware updates from the HP website-

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

The third-party ink cartridges will work. But there are many cartridges in the market which is refilled and sometimes the chip is not configured to work with the printer. You need to contact the cartridge manufacturer and find out why its not working. Try a different cartridge supplier and check if that works.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.