Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP C7280
Microsoft Windows XP

Need HP Photosmart C7280 printer drivers/software (lost my CD & book & need to install on different computer) - Drivers no longer available on HP website  😞

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Delynn

Thanks for the update!

This could be an issue with the scanner mechanism of the printer. The only thing that we can attempt is to do the power drain and check. I would also recommend you keep the printer unplugged from the power for few hours to let the printer cool down and then again check the copy functionality.

If this does not work, then the printer hardware is faulty and I would suggest you contact the HP phone support for printer service or a possible upgrade.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Have a great day 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @Delynn,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I came across your post and wanted to assist you, I understand you want the drivers for your HP Photosmart printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

What is the Operating System installed on the PC? Is it for Windows or Mac OS

I did check online and found that the drivers are available on our HP Support website for HP Photosmart C7200/C8100 series Full Feature Software and Drivers

For more, please click here (Please choose Windows and the right version). 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Now what?  This is the result I found.... 😞

Printer - no support.JPG

HP Recommended

Hello, @Delynn

Thanks for the update! I would like to jump in with a suggestion 🙂

From your screenshot, it looks like you have Windows XP, 32 bit version OS. Please click on http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL19845/mp-52268-5/100_228_PS_AIO_02_Full_Net_enu_NB.exe to download and install the Photosmart C7280 printer drivers for your PC.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Ok it appears the installation went wonderfully, even though I ended up not completing the fax set up because I am NOT tech savy and didn't know what they were talking about regarding connections.  

HOWEVER..... After the installation was complete, the test pages printed fine, the alignment test printed fine, colors vibrant and solid (no skipping or lines), I made a copy using the top feeder.  It worked too BUT when I tried to scan using the machine's top feeder I got ERROR MESSAGES (see attached).  WTH!!!  I tried to scan on the platen... NOPE.  I tried to COPY using both the feeder and the platen... NOPE!!! READY TO RUN SCREAMING DOWN THE STREET LIKE A LUNATIC!!!  I deperately need this printer to work.  Can you PLEASE help?  I'll bake you some cookies if necessary!!!

HP Recommended

Hello, @Delynn

Thank you for the update! I am very well taking the cookies offer 😉

So, I understand the printer is printing is working fine, but the scan is not. I want to perform a power drain on the printer and then check again. Here are the steps:

·         With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

·         Remove USB cable, if present.

·         Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

·         Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

·         Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now, try making a copy using the scanner glass and feeder and let me know if the copy is working well. If the copy is functioning, then the scans should also come out good. Restart your PC and try scanning again.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Ok I did exactly as instructed regarding power cord routine and without connecting the USB cable, it copied from the autofeed just fine.  Next I put my doc on the platen and the "can't scan, copy, fax" message appeared (don't remember if I had pressed the black copy button or not), then the message on display said press ok, which i did then it just continually said copying, I believe, for 2 min. so I pressed red "cancel" button on printer.  Now it continuously says "copy cancelled" and after 2 min. spit out a blank paper but machine still says "copy cancelled" and power button blinking. UGH!!!

HP Recommended

Ok I did exactly as instructed regarding power cord routine and without connecting the USB cable, it copied from the autofeed just fine.  Next I put my doc on the platen and the "can't scan, copy, fax" message appeared (don't remember if I had pressed the black copy button or not), then the message on display said press ok, which i did then it just continually said copying, I believe, for 2 min. so I pressed red "cancel" button on printer.  Now it continuously says "copy cancelled" and after 2 min. spit out a blank paper but machine still says "copy cancelled" and power button blinking. UGH!!!

HP Recommended

Hello, @Delynn

Thanks for the update!

This could be an issue with the scanner mechanism of the printer. The only thing that we can attempt is to do the power drain and check. I would also recommend you keep the printer unplugged from the power for few hours to let the printer cool down and then again check the copy functionality.

If this does not work, then the printer hardware is faulty and I would suggest you contact the HP phone support for printer service or a possible upgrade.

You can visit http://www.support.hp.com/contact-hp and fill in your product details to get the tech support number.

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

If you have any troubles, let me know and I will do my best to help!

Have a great day 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

1`Pressed and held the power button to quit the process.  Started your instructions over again:

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

·         Remove USB cable, if present was already unplugged.

·         Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

·         Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

·         Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now, try making a copy using the scanner glass and feeder

attempted using the scanner glass this time... NO LUCK... UGH.  Display just says "Scanner Failure - Unable to scan, copy or send a fax".  Pressed the red x on the printer to cancel, a blank paper shot out and now it's saying "Copy Cancelled" and again the colored bars are scrolling for 10.5 minutes.... 

So playing around with this I have determined that the scanner just will NOT WORK.  I keep getting the error message.  After that, the COPY function won't work either, UNLESS I power the printer off then back on.  Sooo... how do I make the scanner work?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.