Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp office jet 5740
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

this is the stoopidist option I've run accross !!

how do i remove this ????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Adeline1,

Did you try 1234 or 0000?  Everyone loves those pin numbers!  Just kidding - bad joke.

I haven't used this printer, but you should be able to either change the PIN or delete the account and start over.  To do this::

To change account settings
1. Touch Scan, and then touch Email.
2. On the control panel display, select the account that you want to change, and touch Modify.
3. Select which setting you want to modify, and follow the onscreen prompts.
● Auto-login
● Store Email
● Remove from list
● Change PIN
● Delete Account

You can try 'Change PIN' first.  If it prompts you to enter a new PIN, then you might try Delete Account.  I'm not sure if that will prompt for the PIN as well.  If it does, let me know and I'll see what else I can dig up.  If you know your PIN and just don't want to enter it, you might be able to set that up using the 'Auto-login' option.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi Adeline1,

Did you try 1234 or 0000?  Everyone loves those pin numbers!  Just kidding - bad joke.

I haven't used this printer, but you should be able to either change the PIN or delete the account and start over.  To do this::

To change account settings
1. Touch Scan, and then touch Email.
2. On the control panel display, select the account that you want to change, and touch Modify.
3. Select which setting you want to modify, and follow the onscreen prompts.
● Auto-login
● Store Email
● Remove from list
● Change PIN
● Delete Account

You can try 'Change PIN' first.  If it prompts you to enter a new PIN, then you might try Delete Account.  I'm not sure if that will prompt for the PIN as well.  If it does, let me know and I'll see what else I can dig up.  If you know your PIN and just don't want to enter it, you might be able to set that up using the 'Auto-login' option.

HP Recommended

Tara ... Thanks for the reply !!

i deleted the printer and followed those steps ...

i thnk think  it may work ,, haven't tried it 

now I have another question !!!!!

i have a user name / password in 'embedded web ???? ' 

what the hell have I done !!!! I cannot change anything because I have NO IDEA ..I set up this !!!

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO RETRIEVE/ CANCEL THIS OPTION !!!!

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it - hope that worked for the PIN.

As far as the username/password, that's a little trickier.  First thing, you might try the following default Username/Password:

Username:  ADMIN

Pasword: <just leave this blank>

If that doesn't work, you can try resetting your network settings.  I don't have an Officejet 5740 to test on, so I'm not exactly sure how to do that, but you would do it from the control panel on the printer and it might be something like.....

Go to:  Setup Menu --> Network --> Restore Network defaults

This would then set the username/password to the defaults above.

HP Recommended

Thanks again Tara .. I reset as you suggested,  but under HO utility , devices, other settings, additional network setting s ..

it it still shows 'blocked' with admin and password 

I am accessing from my computer, not from printer 

HP Recommended

Hmmm...are you able to try the steps from the printer control panel?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.