Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your responses so far.  Unfortunately we seem to have reached the end of the road - PSDR will not complete checking of scanning whatever I do. 

You suggest that it must be some glitch within my setup, but as far as I know, my desktop PC is not unusual in any way.  It is a standard HP Envy 23 touchscreen all-in-one that I have had for four years and is now on the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit.  In addition to the HP-supplied software it has  Microsoft Office, varous Google productes et, but no dodgy or illegal software.  It does not have any problems that I know of.

In my previous email I asked about a "ghost" printer that PSDR finds.   You did not comment on that.  Any way of removing it so we know it is not the problem?

I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 running on this machine so I am quite sure I have no virus problems.  Any chance Kaspersky might be blocking some actions by PSDR? ( I doubt it because I do not get any error or warning messages from Kaspersky) 

Your last email sugested I try PSDR on another PC.  I tried that, but it introduced a new and different problem.  My other PC is a small portable - an ACER Aspire now running Windows 10, 64 bit. - rather slow but it works.  The problem is that it has a small screen, and the Window for PSDR at version 5 is bigger than its screen.  There seems to be no way of resizing or scrolling the PSDR window.  The result is that I cannot see the "Next" button, so I cannot get beyond the screen where "Next" should appear.  Is there any way round that?  It seems to me a rather serious limitation of PSDR if there is not.

I don't seem to be having much luck!

HP Recommended

Hi @DMWBristol,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Stupendous effort and brilliant troubleshooting to try and resolve the issue. 🙂 Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂

First off, It is not a glitch with the computer. It could be some glitch with the Operating system after installing software and updates, that could have corrupted some files specific to this utility and preventing it from working correctly. The updates happen in the background without your knowledge and could have caused this.  PSDR may not be getting installed correctly.

This could happen to any computer and several times it has been suggested to customers to backup their files and perform a system recovery to factory settings and the issue has been resolved successfully. This has been done only as a last resort if nothing works.

The PSDR is a tested and trusted utility that is downloaded every day by millions of customers and hence is hosted on the support site. It fails only on a handful of computers that could have an operating system glitch which gets corrected usually with a complete operating system reinstallation.

Coming to the situation on hand please do this:

Uninstall the complete printer software by performing these steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.

Then reinstall the full feature software from this link: http://support.hp.com/lt-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/HP-ENVY-5600-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/6...

Then try to run PSDR again and check. It might not detect the ghost printer.

Trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been commendable and it has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I genuinely hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time once it gets fixed. 🙂

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestion.

I did what you suggested, and removed the printer software and driver. ( I had to do a reboot before I could "Remove" the driver under printui - until I did that it said the printer was in use, even though printer was switched off).

Good news is that solved the problem!  PSDR now completes for both the printer and scanner functions and says everything is OK.

Can I please leave one piece of customer feedback?  I think someone should look at the issue of trying to use PSDR on a laptop with a small screen.  Make the screen scrollable?

Thanks again for solving my PSDR problem.

HP Recommended

Hi @DMWBristol,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 I am glad that the issue has been resolved.

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.  

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.