Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 6230 All-in-One Printer

This printer is getting more and more frustrating and it is doing my head in!

As it was not working properly, as usual, I reinstalled the drivers using HP Easy Start or whatever it is called, which seemed to work OK. But now whenever I print the icons look different and it will print one page but will then fail with a "filter failed" message. This means that I cannot print documents of more than one page on my MacBook. So the next option is my iPad.

Whenever I try the iPad to print it is touch and go if it will work or not. Sometimes the printer will be there, in which case it works fine. But most of the time it says "no printer selected", so I go in to search for an AirPrint printer (it is an AirPrint printer), and it comes up saying "no AirPrint printers found! I then invariably have to restart the iPad, after which it usually works, but I shouldn't have to do this every flipping time.

What gives? I have rarely been able to just print with this printer without issues, usually it can't be found and if it can it fails after printing one page. And the worst of it is that my Instant Ink allowance is being shredded by aborted print jobs, which I find very unfair. I'm not subscribing to a more expensive option just because of this stupid issue.

Can someone tell me how to, once and for all, install this damned printer so that it will work every time please, plus print more than one page without a "filter failed" message? Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @alexmidd,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I understand you are facing an Instant Ink issue with your HP Printer. 
It sounds incredibly frustrating dealing with those printing issues, especially when it affects your work and consumes your resources like ink and time. Let's try to troubleshoot and resolve these problems step by step:

Check Printer Connection: Ensure that your HP ENVY Photo 6230 printer is properly connected to your Wi-Fi network and that both your MacBook and iPad are on the same network.

Printer Software Update: Check if there are any available updates for your printer's firmware or software. Sometimes, outdated software can cause compatibility issues with your devices.

MacBook Printing Issue: Since you're experiencing the "filter failed" message on your MacBook, let's focus on resolving this first. You may try the following steps:

• Uninstall the printer drivers completely from your MacBook and then reinstall them using HP Easy Start or directly from the HP website.
  • Ensure that the printer driver you're installing is compatible with your MacBook's operating system version.
  • After reinstalling the drivers, restart your MacBook and then try printing again.

iPad Printing Issue: If your iPad is having trouble finding the printer or consistently shows "no AirPrint printers found," try these steps:

• Make sure your iPad and printer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
  • Restart both your iPad and the printer.
  • Check for any software updates on your iPad and install them if available.
  • If the issue persists, you may need to reset the network settings on your iPad and set up the Wi-Fi connection again.

To assist you better, I have sent out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hi Gaya1239

Thanks for your reply.

I will go through your suggestions one by one.

1. The printer is fully connected to the network at all times and is visible in the router as a connected device.

2. The software is up-to-date.

3. The "filter failed" message seems to have been resolved by me removing the printer via the system settings on the Mac and then adding it again. The message no longer appears, although that was with a 1-page print. I will have to see if it works with a multi-page print the next time I need to do one. If it does not work then I will try your suggestions.

4. You state that to resolve the problem with the iPad is to restart it and the printer. This is the problem though, I have to do this every time to get the iPad to see the printer. And despite this, it has never been able to see the printer as an AirPrint printer, despite it supposedly being compatible with AirPrint. So, for that issue it looks like I will just have to keep restarting the devices every time I need to use the printer from the iPad.

Alex

HP Recommended

Hello, I am having problems finding the private messages. The instructions mention a blue envelope but I can't see that anywhere. I can see a white envelope with a red circle and a number 2 in it, but clicking that does nothing. Can anyone tell me where to find them please?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.