Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello. I would like to find out whether DNS server settings have to be input, when assigning a static ip in an Envy 7640(network printing). I have no problem knowing how to input the static IP, subnet mask, and default gateway, but I"m not sure whether I need to set the DNS server settings, and whether they will populate automatically, or manually. I also do not know what the DNS server settings would be, if they are required. Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You can leave the DNS blank.  It will use the routers DNS servers.

Make sure the static IP of the printer is outside the DHCP range in the router.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

You can leave the DNS blank.  It will use the routers DNS servers.

Make sure the static IP of the printer is outside the DHCP range in the router.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. The printer is currently working fine set up DHCP on a LAN with 4 computers. If there are issues, I'll set it up static and make the appropriate adjustments on the pcs. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.