Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
unknown
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am in shopping mode.  I need an inexpensive All-in-One printer with good OCR capabilities.  By good, I mean a) accurate and b) saves formatting too, not just simple text.

I have tried Google Shopping and OCR seems to be ignored.   Similar with HP's search.  Is OCR so little used???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Plenty of Free OCR software on the web.

Free OCR

http://www.paperfile.net/index.html

OCR to Word

http://www.ocrtoword.com/

Both work great.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

OCR is just software that all printers/scanners can use.

HP Recommended

I understand that OCR is just software, but it is often printer or printer-driver dependent and so gets bundled with ta specific printer's software.

I am looking for one or more specific HP printers that did what I asked, even if it is bundled software.  Neither Google nor Amazon nor hp seem able to respond to my requests.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@DavidAbraham

Yes, bundle software is always cheaper BUT the down side is in many cases bundle softare is not a full function software. But for normal tasks, standard bundle software should to the job very well.

Back to your question. Please try HP Officejet Pro series, specially Officejet Pro 8710, 8720, 8730 & 8740 printers. From my view, they are a bit cheaper in terms of cost per page (inkjet printers) and suitable for home or small office.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

$120, more than I want to spend but OK. 

You say that bundled software may be limited?  OK, can you suggest stand-alone OCR software that can be configured to particular printer drivers?

Thanks in advance.

HP Recommended

Search for HP Support OCR software.  I find lots of links.  But that's probably not needed as Banhien suggests.

I don't know what you google for, but in USA google for "HP Officejet Pro Printer Retailers."   Amazon,  Best Buy, Target, Staples, Fryes, etc.  ...and as Banhien provided, look for the HP 8700 series.  When on the retailers site, Search for HP Officejet Pro printers.  Again, in USA you can expect reduced prices on Black Friday.  Just spend the $120 and be done with it.

I am not an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thanks very much, everyone.  But it is frustrating looking at the 8700 series on amazon and on hp and not finding "OCR" on the pages.     Someone at a store found this: onlineocr.net.    I have not been abole to get fancy with it yet but so far so good.  Nor do I know whether it will stay FREE after I use it a while.  I am 100% OK with OCRing saved documents rather than paper docs being scanned.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Plenty of Free OCR software on the web.

Free OCR

http://www.paperfile.net/index.html

OCR to Word

http://www.ocrtoword.com/

Both work great.

HP Recommended

Hello again David,

Sabertooth provides two free OCR type of software downloads (and KUDOS).  I downloaded (but did not run and uninstalled immediately because I don't need them).  They both seemed to be free (don't say trial period, etc.) but only running them will tell.  

The OCRtoWord downloads an apparent Adware (which may actually be the exe. file for the program) called w32.AdwareGen and with the file name:  freeocrtoword.exe (as found by my Webroot Security virus software - the best).  So now I need to run my Malware program.

Maybe, if the OCR idea is important, just pay for some software if needed. 

Again, Benhien suggested (and KUDOS):   the Officejet Pro 8700 series may be what you would want.  Good luck.

HP Recommended

@sabretooth04 wrote:

Plenty of Free OCR software on the web....

@sabretooth04

Few years back, I tested few of them (not all). I will try again later because I don't need right now.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.