Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4385 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

During a recent move, my HP Photosmart C4385 All-in-One Printer was reset to the network defaults, so it no longer connects to my WiFi network.  I figured that I have to run the setup again.  Unfortunately, the setup software on the CD that came with the printer will not run on my Windows 10 laptop.  Is there a version of the setup software that I can download that will run on Windows 10?  I wasn't able to find any.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Ed_Kelley,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand the setup software from the CD isn't compatible with your Windows 10 laptop, you can try the following steps to reconnect your HP Photosmart C4385 printer to your WiFi network:

1.Manual Setup: You can manually set up the WiFi connection on your printer through its control panel. Here's a general guide on how to do it:

• Press the "Setup" button on your printer's control panel.
  • Use the arrow keys to navigate to the "Network" or "Wireless" menu.
  • Select "Wireless Setup Wizard" or a similar option.
  • Follow the on-screen prompts to select your WiFi network and enter the password.
  • Once connected, print a Wireless Network Test Report to verify the connection.

2. HP Smart App: Download and install the HP Smart app on your Windows 10 laptop from the Microsoft Store. This app can help you set up and manage your printer wirelessly. After installing the app, follow the on-screen instructions to add your printer and set up the WiFi connection.  HP printer setup (HP Smart app)

3. HP Website: Visit the HP support website and search for your printer model. Look for any updated software or drivers compatible with Windows 10. HP often provides updated software for older printer models to ensure compatibility with newer operating systems. HP Photosmart C4385 All-in-One Printer

4. Compatibility Mode: If you still have the setup software from the CD, you can try running it in compatibility mode. Right-click on the setup file, select "Properties," go to the "Compatibility" tab, check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for," and select an older version of Windows that the software supports. Then, try running the setup program again.

Refer to this document:  Printer setup guide for:Printer setup guide for:HP Photosmart C4385 All-in-One Printer

HP Photosmart C4385 All-in-One Printer User manual

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
HP Recommended

Hello Gaya1239,

Thank you for responding to my post.  I tried all four options that you described.  None of them worked.

Option 1 (Manual Setup).  There is no Setup button on my printer's control panel.

Option 2 (HP Smart App).  I downloaded and installed the app, but the app requires bluetooth to communicate with the printer. The Photosmart C4385 does not have bluetooth.

Option 3 (HP Website).  I found the Software and Drivers page for my printer.  There were no drivers available for download.  There was a "Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution" link and I tried that, but the instructions said to "Press and hold the Wireless button for five seconds or until the wireless light starts to flash. Within two minutes, press and hold the WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button on the router until the connection process begins. The printer wireless light stops flashing when the connection completes."  There is no wireless button on my printer.

Option 4 (Compatibility mode).  I ran the Setup software from the CD in compatibility mode for Windows Vista.  The software ran as expected...up to the point where it asked me to connect to printer to my laptop using the USB cable, so the network information could be communicated to the printer.  I connected the printer to the laptop and got a "printer has been detected" message. I clicked Next and after a few seconds I got a "Product connected successfully" message.  I clicked Next to complete the setup and I got an Error popup window with the message "The device is not ready".  I printed a Wireless Network Test Report from the printer's control panel and it says the Network Name (SSID) was not found.

Please advise.

HP Recommended

Hi @Ed_Kelley ,

Thank you for your response, I appreciate your efforts. As the issue persists, I am sorry to hear that  This needs one-on-one interaction  I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

I hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.