Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart Tank 790 All-in-One
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

My brand new HP Smart tank is stuck on a verifying loop.  I have an imac  11.6 and when setting up the printer for the first time I tried to install a firmware update but the updated said it had a communication error with the printer and then the printer showed "verifying" on the display.  I dont know what to do. I tried unplugging for 60 seconds and plugging in again but no change. In addition the printer cannot be found either in firmwarer updater or HP Smart app.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @SPRODROM,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating to deal with a verifying loop issue right after getting a new printer. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue with your HP Smart Tank 790 on your iMac:

Reset the Printer:

• Since unplugging for 60 seconds didn't help, try a full reset. If possible, remove the power cord from the printer while it is turned on and wait a couple of minutes before plugging it back in.

Check Connection:

• Ensure that the printer is properly connected to your iMac via USB or your local network. If you are connecting through Wi-Fi, check if other devices can connect to the printer.
  • If using a network connection, ensure your printer and iMac are on the same network.

Update iMac Software:

• Ensure your iMac’s operating system is up to date. Go to the Apple Menu > System Preferences > Software Update to check for updates.

Reinstall Printer Software:

• Remove any existing installations of the printer from your iMac. Go to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, select your printer, and click the minus (-) button to remove it.
  • Download and install the latest version of HP Smart app or the relevant printer software from the HP website for your model.

Use HP Utility:

• Open HP Utility from your applications folder or download it from the HP website if it's not installed. This tool might give you more diagnostics and the option to manage firmware updates.

Connect Directly via USB:

• If you have been trying to connect over Wi-Fi, try setting up the printer using a USB connection to see if that resolves the issue.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Rachel571

Nothing works unfortunately from the proposed solutions. 

a) Reset the printer: Did it multiple times leaving the printer even over night without power.

b) Check connection: Everything connected properly

c) iMac 11.6.  I am not going to upgrade the iMac to another ios just for this printer to work.  HP says it works with my version of iOs.

d) Reinstall printer software:  Done it multiple times deleting also leftover files in library/containers folder

e) HP utility does not work for this version of iOs.  HP Smart is the way to go as per HP

f) Connect directly via USB..  See (b) above.

Result.  The printer is stuck on verifying loop and there is nothing at this stage I can do to reset it to the original state.  Isn't there another way to reset the printer? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @SPRODROM ,

We apologize for the inconvenience, but it seems that the issue needs a hardware repair.

Unfortunately, there are no further actions we can take through this channel. I recommend reaching out to our phone support for further assistance.

They can help you with the unit repair or part replacement.

I request you talk to HP Phone Support and they will help you to sort it out as it requires repair.

1. Click on this link -  https://support.hp.com/us-en

2. Select the country.

3. Enter the serial number of your device.

4. Select the country from the drop-down.

5. Click on "Show Options".

6. Fill out the web form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.