Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Deskjet3054A J611j
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

I have a 3054A J611j printer. I have replaced black cartridge and then color and still get the same "alignment failed" message. Alignment page looks different with red at bottom with ! in a triangle and IMPORTANT! in red plus some curved arrows. No explanation. I have cleaned the cartridges . When printing a crossword in black I am getting ghost image and some light blue squares with no words/definitions.

This never happened before.  Very long time HP user.

'genuine HP cartridge installed"

'Alignment failed. Cartridges are set to default quality'

Saw others had the problem but replacing the 2nd cartridge did not help.

Cartridges purchased from HP were made in China and not expiring until late 2017.

Frustrated Sr Citizen so need explicit info.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you have tried all the items on the HP web site then try these Youtube videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Deskjet+3054A+print+head

Search for more if needed.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

In order align the cartridges, the print quality has to be good.  From the sound of it, it is not.

Go here...

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Deskjet-3050A-e-All-in-One-Printer-series---J6/4311836/model/...

Fix the print quality and then align.

HP Recommended

The quality set on the print option is 'normal'.

I followed most of the directions, changing cartridges, several alignments, cleaning 4 steps.

Black color shows on the alignment sheet only as the black squares top, bottom and sides. 

Blue squares and 5 full lines . 

Clean printheads yields only a small colored bar (2 1/2 cm red, yellow,blue) and black brackets with nothing inside.

I tried to copy a document in black and the page was blank.

A greeting card--pink, grey, red, yellow, green copied beautifully.

What do you suggest?  Defective (tho new) black cartridge? Printer needs replacing?

Q2--it is ok my computer says 3050A printer when it is really 3054A??

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

So you're saying the Print Quality report is NOT what it is supposed to be? 

HP Recommended

"Alignment failed. Cartridges are set to default quality." was the msg on the printer screen.

I inferred from your first response that I should check the print option when printing to be sure it was not to be low quality. It is set at normal quality.

All I really know is there is no black ink printing though new cartridge installed, ink supplies are 'good',

Color copying appears ok.  B&W copying yields no marks. What I have not done is swab the black controls on the machine. Should I?

HP Recommended

If you have tried all the items on the HP web site then try these Youtube videos here.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Deskjet+3054A+print+head

Search for more if needed.

HP Recommended

#4 on the 7 Ways Video worked! So far, that is. I am so grateful for the forum. I was almost ready to give up.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.