Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I had this same error message on my Window 10 Laptop.  I got rid of it by going to Control Panel, clicking on the Device Manager, then clicking on Printers, look for Unkown Printer, click on the Unkown Printer and hit delete and you're done. 

HP Recommended

It did not work for me

HP Recommended

I'm still getting this message even after deleting the "Unknown Printers" when updating.  I get the same one that says "Null Fax" as well.

Hewlett-Packard  - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series - Error 0x8024200b

DD
HP Recommended

@Bev_N wrote:

I have just got rid of this update error message on Windows 10 by going into settings, devices, connected devices, then clicking on device manager link at bottom of screen.   Then delete the 'Unknown Printer'.

It worked for me!

This also works for me. Thanks. The best thing is users help ourselves. Nobody from Microsoft or HP seems to care!

HP Recommended

Thanks. Worked for me also.

HP Recommended

Thanks, also worked for me

HP Recommended

Thanks!!!  Deleting 'Unknown Printer(s)' -- two of them -- worked instantly.  :OpenSmile:

How did you know to do this??

HP Recommended

Thanks, worked first time on two computers. How come HP and windows were  unable to sort it - dragged on for years!

HP Recommended

thanks ,also worked for me

HP Recommended

Thanks, that worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.