Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 2540 all in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Well after 7 years using windows XP pro  and my various HP printers over the years I have always been able to instantly use my HP printer on screen to see level of ink  ,.. I'd go to programs.. find  ( todays printer) HP 2540  .. then  click on the icon to see my level of Ink ..  

This is not the case with my installed  windows 10 ..  I can print ok   But where is the Maintenance factor ?????  to clean the heads  or see level of Ink   ??????

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I would suggest you remove all HP 2540 programs and then re-install the WIN 10 full featured software.  Bwtween your WIn 8.1 and the upgrade an error happened.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I would suggest you remove all HP 2540 programs and then re-install the WIN 10 full featured software.  Bwtween your WIn 8.1 and the upgrade an error happened.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@wb2001 wrote:

How about a response that makes sense. I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8100. All I want to do is to check my ink levels on my Windows 10 computer. I am NOT about to uninstall and re-install WIN 10 full feature software. How about an easier solution???

HP Recommended

@Jp56

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer and would like to check the ink levels without installing the full featured drivers for Windows 10. 

You could use an alternate method to check the ink levels:

• If the printer is connected to a network, the obtain the printer's IP address.
  • Type the IP address in the web browser's address bar. This will open the EWS page (Embedded Web Server)
  • In the EWS page, you can check the ink levels. 

Figure: Examples of ink and toner level selections from printer screen control panel menus

Examples of ink and toner level selections from control panel menus

you may also check the ink levels by using the HP Print and Scan Doctor (Windows)

HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. Download and run HP Print and Scan Doctor to quickly and automatically perform several troubleshooting tasks known to resolve this issue. When this link is clicked, HP Print and Scan Doctor is downloaded using your Internet browser's download capabilities.

1. After HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start on the Welcome screen.

2. Select your printer, and then click Next.

3. In the HP Print and Scan Doctor window, click Printer.

Figure : Click Printer in the HP Print and Scan Doctor window

Click Printer in the HP Print and Scan Doctor window.
  4. In the drop-down menu, select Supply Levels or Ink Levels.

The tool displays the estimated ink or toner levels.

Figure : Example of the estimated ink levels window

Example of the estimated ink levels window

Hope this information helps. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

All I want is to find out the level of ink.Last thing I printed was faint.Do not want to uninstall .........What's the easiest way?I onlyjust printed a recipe yesterday and print was fine.

HP Recommended

I agree with the response below - There HAS TO BE an easier way to check ink levels!!

@Jp56 wrote:

@wb2001wrote:

How about a response that makes sense. I have an HP Office Jet Pro 8100. All I want to do is to check my ink levels on my Windows 10 computer. I am NOT about to uninstall and re-install WIN 10 full feature software. How about an easier solution???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.