Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I uusually find myself expecting no of these solutions to work and was pleasantly surprised that his worked for me as well after spending way too much time on this problem. It even installed A LOT faster.

HP! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO FIX THIS??!!

HP Recommended

Thanks Alex and others who have replied, the recommended solution worked for me. Cheers.

HP Recommended

This did it for me as well.  Crazy to think that HP couldn't have figured this out since I'm guessing that everyone is having the same problem.  Thanks very much!!!

HP Recommended

This worked. Thanks you!

HP Recommended

@alivak wrote:

I think I figured out the issue, windows 10 installs its own driver and the installer is waiting for the hp driver to install.

DO THIS DURING THE HP INSTALL PROCESS (when the percentage counter is going)

1. Go into the device manager and find the printer in the list of devices

2. Right click on the printer and select "Update Driver software"

3. Click "Browse my computer for driver software"

4. Select "Let me pick from...."

5. Select the driver named: HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PCL-6         (Make sure its the one with a dash between the pcl and 6!)

6. Click next and go back to the hp install box and it should now see the printer and continue the install.

-Alex

Thanks a lot Alex. I followed the steps elucidated by you and got the problem resolved within seconds. Be Blessed.

Naeem

HP Recommended

Used Alex's suggestion and it worked perfect.  Printer and scanner both work great!

HP Recommended

I also had this problem, and despite working in IT technical support for 16 years I had never run across this particular glitch.  So Alex, THANK YOU!!  Perhaps it was only because I never worked in an environment running Windows 10.  One comment I will make (Which I hope HP will read and take to heart) is that HP's software is horribly buggy, abysmally written, and VERY  FAT!  HP seems to love code bloat.  The size of the software installation package downloaded from HP's website is nearly 695 MB!  REALLY?!!  For one printer?!  HP's software is so bad that, in my IT department, it became policy to install only the bare drivers required and none of the other software.  OK,  enough whining and complaining.

I would like to expand a bit on Alex's directions because I'm sure there are some people who aren't too techie who are having the same problem.   So after Alex's step one, follow these steps:

a.)  My customary way of opening device manager is to hold down the Windows key and tap the Pause key (at the upper right on your keyboard).  The Windows key has the Windows logo AND/OR the word "Start" on it.  On my keyboard the Windows key is between the left CTRL & ALT keys, your keyboard may have it on both the left and the right sides.  Then click on device manager in the upper left corner of the System window  You can also open the Control Panel and click on "Device Manager."

b.)  Once the device manager is open, you can find your printer in several places, under "Imaging devices" (that's not what you want), under "Print queues" (also not what you want), and finally under "Printers" – and THAT'S what you want.  If this is the first printer you have installed on your computer, the Printers group may not show up at first.   Once the installation program has proceeded far enough it should show up.  If you would like, you can refresh the list by clicking on "Action" on the menu bar at the top and then selecting "Scan for hardware changes."

c.)  Once the printer group and M477 printer have shown up, continue with Alex's directions resuming at step 2.

GOOD LUCK!

HP Recommended

Great Tip. It worked 100% and rexolved my problem. Be Blessed Old_Professor

HP Recommended

Alex... You are amazing.. Thank you... thank you... thank you... I can not express how much I appreciate your knowledge and experience. I was on the last strw and like others on this blogg, It installed in seconds without fail... Thanks again. Stpnstn

HP Recommended

Hey Guys,

I had the similar issue but the printer was not even coming up on device manager. I googled it and found that 

SetupMenu -> service -> HP smart install had to be turned off, and then everything worked as normal.

Hopefully this helps save someone else time and frustration 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.