Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I am trying to run HP Easy Start to install Essential Software, HP Easy Scan, and HP Uninstaller. After it finishes downloading (I'm assuming the installers), it just sits there "waiting". What is it waiting on? What can I do to move it along? Did it download installers somewhere I can run them manually?

I am running OS X El Capitan. Yes, I've rebooted. The printer installation was successful, and I can print.

I would like the be able to actually use the scanner.

Waiting Screenshot.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @sklingler,

If the HP installer is not working you can also download HP Easy Scan from the Mac app store.

HP Easy Scan

Also, if you cannot get the HP Uninstaller, here is a link to some instructions to show you how you can uninstall the HP software.

HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Mac)

Let me know if there is anything else i can help you out with.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
★Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say "Thanks" for helping!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended
Welcome to the community @sklingler,

I will certainly do my best to help you, however, I am going to ask that you please let me know some more helpful information to help me research the problem for you.

Please respond to me with the following. If there are any steps here that you have not tried, please try them before responding and include the result in your reply back to me:

Which printer model do you have?
How is the printer connected (USB/ wireless/ wired/ Bluetooth)?
What Firewalls and Anti-virus software are installed?
Have you tried disabling or uninstalling them?
Did you make any recent changes to your set up (physical move, upgrade, downgrade, new software installed, new router, etc)?
Have you completed all Mac OS Updates?
Do you see any error messages or codes, and if so, what are they saying and where do you see them?

Thank you.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

★Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HP Recommended

Printer - OfficeJet 4650

Connected - Wireless

Firewalls - I turned off the firewall

Anti-Virus - none

Changes - uninstalled the driver and software for the previous HP printer, which died after a long life. Rebooted, then started to install this software.

The machine is fully up to date, and I get no error messages.

As I said, I can print to the device.

I can also open System Preferences, go to Printers and Scanners, select this printer (it's the only one), go to the scan tab and Open Scanner. That process does successfully scan.

I just can't get this installer, for whatever additional software is out there to work.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hi @sklingler,

If the HP installer is not working you can also download HP Easy Scan from the Mac app store.

HP Easy Scan

Also, if you cannot get the HP Uninstaller, here is a link to some instructions to show you how you can uninstall the HP software.

HP Printers - Uninstalling the Printer Software (Mac)

Let me know if there is anything else i can help you out with.

MarcelusWallace

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you. Much nicer for scanning than the default app.

Out of curiosity, am I missing anything in the HP Essentials app that didn't install? Is it anything I need?

HP Recommended

I am getting the exact same error. The software downloads, I then set in a never ending :waiting..." state.  Did you every get a response or solution? I was hoping that this would install a new or updated "HP Utility" app.

HP Recommended

I have the same question "Out of curiosity, am I missing anything in the HP Essentials app that didn't install? Is it anything I need?" Can you please provide an answer?

HP Recommended

I can't even quit the **bleep** application sitting in "waiting".

Please answer & provid a solution now regarding quitting a stalled installation program!

HP Recommended

really? d.a.m.n. is bleeped?!

HP Recommended

OK this is ridiculous.

I cannot quit Easy Start. I cannot restart or shut down my laptop!!!!!

PLEASE PROVIDE A SOLUTION!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.