Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Multifunction Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

My printer won't connect to my laptop. Has been working well for years, lost connection when i replaced the router last week. New router has the same name and password.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @JCR82655,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When you replace your router, even if the network name (SSID) and password remain the same, sometimes devices might still have trouble reconnecting due to changes in network settings or configurations. Here's a step-by-step guide to troubleshoot and reconnect your HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw printer to your laptop.

• Check Wi-Fi Settings on the Printer: Make sure your printer is powered on and ready. Access the printer's control panel or display screen and navigate to the network settings. Ensure that the printer is connected to the correct Wi-Fi network (the one with the same name as your new router) and that the password is correctly entered.
  • Restart Devices: Sometimes, simply restarting both your printer and laptop can resolve connectivity issues. Turn off both devices, wait for a few seconds, and then turn them back on.
  • Verify Wi-Fi Signal Strength: Ensure that your printer is within range of your new router's Wi-Fi signal. If the signal is weak, try moving the printer closer to the router.
  • Forget Old Wi-Fi Network: On the printer's control panel or display screen, navigate to the Wi-Fi settings and forget/delete the old Wi-Fi network profile. This ensures that the printer isn't attempting to connect to the outdated network.
  • Reconnect to Wi-Fi: Once the old network profile is deleted, set up the Wi-Fi connection again on your printer. Follow the printer's manual or on-screen instructions to connect to your new Wi-Fi network. You may need to enter the network name (SSID) and password again.
  • Printer Software Reconfiguration: If your printer came with software for your laptop, reinstall or reconfigure it to recognize the printer on the new network. Sometimes, the printer software needs to be updated with the new network settings.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your printer model on the HP website. Updating the firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues and improve network connectivity.
  • Check Router Settings: Although the network name and password are the same, there might be other settings on the router that could affect device connectivity. Ensure that the router settings, such as security type (WPA2, WEP, etc.) and network mode (802.11n, 802.11ac, etc.), are compatible with your printer.
  • Restart Router: Sometimes, restarting the router can resolve connectivity issues. Unplug the router's power cable, wait for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in. Allow the router to fully restart, and then try connecting your printer again.

By following these steps, you should be able to reconnect your HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw printer to your laptop successfully.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.