Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
  1. I have just bought a HP ENVY 6020e for home, however the drivers will not download as it says I need windows 10 or newer. My laptop is windows 7, is there anything I can do? My old printer worked perfectly fine but had to give it to the kids. Surely this does not mean I need to upgrade my computer for the sake of a £60 printer I will only use once in a while?
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @karlmonty,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

If your new HP ENVY 6020e printer requires drivers that are only compatible with Windows 10 or newer, and your laptop is running Windows 7, there are a few options you can consider.

• Check for Compatibility: Confirm with HP Support or on the product specifications page if there are any drivers or workarounds available for Windows 7. Sometimes, HP releases updates or alternative drivers that may work with older operating systems.
  • Use Compatibility Mode: You can try installing the drivers in compatibility mode. Right-click on the driver installation file, select Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and choose to run the program in compatibility mode for Windows 10. Then try running the installer again.
  • Virtual Machine or Dual Boot: You could set up a virtual machine on your Windows 7 laptop running Windows 10 or newer, solely for the purpose of installing the printer drivers and managing the printer. Alternatively, you could set up a dual-boot system with Windows 10 alongside Windows 7, allowing you to switch between the two operating systems as needed.
  • Upgrade or Replace the Operating System: While this might not be the most cost-effective solution, if you find yourself needing compatibility with newer hardware and software frequently, upgrading your operating system to Windows 10 or newer may eventually become necessary. Alternatively, you could consider upgrading your laptop altogether to a newer model that comes with a supported operating system.

It's frustrating when newer hardware requires newer operating systems, especially when the older system is still functional for your needs. 

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Alden4

HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.