Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Deskjet 1000 J110
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

My printer has stopped printing black ink even though the black cartridge is almost full, I have read on previous threads that many people solved this problem by installing the most recent drivers which I have now done or by cleaning the ink cartridges via the toolbar; however my toolbar is incredibly simplistic to the point that there is not even an option to check ink levels.

Here is what it looks like:

toolbar.PNG

Whereas in previous threads it has been shown to like this which is a lot better than what I have:

toolbar 2.png

Is there any way to download the toolbar which has full features?

Thanks in advance,

Hannah

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @hn96,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the print quality issue you're experiencing with your HP Deskjet 1000 Printer failing to print black ink. Now, from the screen shots you included in your post, it appears that on reinstalling the drivers the full feature software and driver package failed to make its way onto your computer. What you're seeing is the basic driver options. In order to correct the black ink quality issue we rely on the full software to be installed to provide you with the maintenance tools. Therefore, can I please have you follow the steps below to get your printer properly installed.

Step 1: Uninstall Drivers:

If you have a USB Cable plugged in from your printer to your computer can I please have you disconnect that cable now.

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. Select All Programs
  3. Select the HP folder
  4. Select your HP Deskjet
  5. Select Uninstall

Please follow any onscreen instructions to complete the uninstall of your printer. Once the uninstall is complete please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. In the 'search programs and files' box please type %temp% and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.
  4. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.
  5. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied
  6. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin

Step 3: Reinstall Drivers:

1. Please click here to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer
  2. Once the website opens select the Download button on the top left
  3. If prompted select Run
  4. Once the download is complete please follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer
  5. If using a USB Cable connection please do not plug in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to.

Once the installation is complete can you please open the Deskjet software to ensure that the software is opening properly.

Once the software opens can you please click here to access the print quality troubleshooting steps to correct the black printing issue. This issue may be due to a cartridge issue or a print system hardware issue within your actual printer. Once the support document opens please run through Solution one, Solution six, Solution seven, and Solution eight. This includes any sub-steps under the listed Solutions.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi @X-23 ,

Thank you for replying but the problem is still not solved unfortunately. I unistalled everything then downloaded the drivers again but the result is this:

new toolbar.PNG

This is a result that has occured for me before when I previously tried to solve this problem.

Any ideas of what has gone wrong or how to solve this? 

Many thanks,

Hannah

HP Recommended

Hey @hn96,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue.

To correct this 'Default Text' Printer Assistant error can I please have you click here to install the patch.

Once you click that link please allow it to Run if you have that option. If not, please Save the patch on your desktop. Once the  download is complete if prompted allow it to Run. You may see something flash on your screen and disappear. After this happens please click on the HP Printer Assistant software to launch it properly.

Please let me know if this patch resolves the software issue. 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I ran the patch but it hasn't made any different and is still coming up with the default text box.

Is there anything else I can try?

HP Recommended

Hey @hn96,

That's very strange! I haven't heard of that patch not working.

After downloading it did you see anything extract to your computer and then disappear?

Can I have you try the patch one more time, through Internet Explorer please. Close the HP Deskjet Printer Assistant software before running the patch.

Please click on the following link under Internet Explorer and select Run when prompted.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/sclitefileassociation/SCLiteFix_299026.exe

After selecting Run an extraction will automatically occur on the computer.

If the link fails to open anything, please copy the link and paste it into an Internet Explorer page. Search to that page and you will autoamatically get a Run option. Click Run.

Once the extraction box disappears, click on the Deskjet Printer Assistant software and it should open successfully now.

Good luck!  🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I followed everything you said including copying and pasting the link into internet explorer. The patch downloaded, extracted and the little window disappeared as you said it would but it still didn't fix the software.

I have no idea why it isn't working for me.

HP Recommended

Hey @hn96,

I'm sorry to hear that the patch still didn't resolve your Printer Assistant error. The dilemma is, the black ink printing issue is hardware related on your Deskjet. Unfortunately, this issue is usually due to a defective cartridge or a defective print system within your printer. If you try a new black cartridge and the issue persists, than we know that this issue is being caused by the printer. Should this be the case, than a whole unit replacement may be needed.

The challenging part is because your product only offers basic features we rely on the Printer Assistant software to run the print quality troubleshooting steps to ideally resolve this black printing issue. So, with that being said, I can either offer you some additional troubleshooting steps in an effort to get your Printer Assistant software functioning again for you to continue troubleshooting your printer. Or, if you have another computer we could install the printer on there temporarily to complete the quality troubleshooting.

This Printer Assistant issue is being caused by a file association issue within your Operating System.  There are steps that I can provide you with to correct this software issue should you want to continue troubleshooting the software on this computer.

Please let me know if you would like to continue support on the HP Printer Assistant with this Windows 7 computer, or if you would like to install the printer temporarily on another computer just to complete the print quality troubleshooting steps. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.