Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus
Windows 7

Error 1722: Failed to add port monitor HP Discovery Port Monitor (HP Officejet Pro 8600). Plus (64 bit.)

Is there a fix or do I go buy a different brand of printer?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey @JimStinson ,

So my name is Zac and i will be helping you out today!:smileyhappy:

Step #1: Run the Microsoft Fix-It Uninstaller tool. This will rip all the software you choose for it to remove from your system completely. You are wanting to look for something along the lines of "HP Officejet Pro 8600 Package". Click on it an remove it entirely. The link for MS Fix-It is http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall

Step #2: Run the tool "CCleaner" to clear up all your useless registry files to make sure that nothing is in the way of the software doing its business. To download CCleaner go to https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER. Run the scan and clean.

Step #3: Clear your temporary file folder. Hold down the "Windows Key" on your keyboard and press the "R" button on your keyboard. The "run" dialog will come up. Type %temp% and press "Enter" on your keyboard. A screen will pop up titled "temp". To select and delete all the temp files hold the "CTRL" button on your keyboard and press "A". The should select all the files. Once they are all selected press "Delete" on your keyboard. If you get a "File is in use and can't be deleted" or any other annoying "you can't remove this file" warnings just click skip and move on. Once they are all gone, close the window.

Step #4: Now lets do a clean boot restart. This will stop the interfering programs from getting in the way after start up. There is a dropdown at the top of this document to choose Windows 7. Here is the link https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/.

Step #5: After you have done all those steps above we get here, the reinstall. The be all and end all. The final hour.... I imagine you are fully aware how to do a reinstall but this is my job so, hp.com < Drivers and Downloads < Follow on screen instructions.

Happy new year! Have a great day and get back to me when you can! :generic:

I worked for HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Zac,

Now I get Error Code 2753.  Something wrong with the installer.

What next?

Jim Stinson

HP Recommended

What next?I have tried everything....

The copier works fine, just won't talk to the computer.

Somebody help...Please?

HP Recommended

Hello @JimStinson,

I understand that you're now getting the error message 'Fatal Error: 2753' when trying to install your HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printer on your Windows 7 64 bit computer. I would like to take over for @Zactinium  from here and resolve this issue with you. Can I please have you run through the steps below to get this machine properly installed for you once and for all.

Step 1: Re-register the Windows Installer Service:

1. Click on your Start menu
  2. In the 'search programs and files' box located right above Start after you click on it type Run and hit enter on your keyboard. The Run dialogue box will now open.
  3. In the Run box type msiexec /unregister and click OK
  4. Reopen the Run dialogue box and this time type msiexec /reregister and click OK

Step 2: Give Permissions:

2. Click on Computer
  3. Click on your C Drive to open it
  4. First, right click on Program Files and left click on properties
  5. In the Attributes section, click to clear the Read-only check box
  6. Click Apply, select Apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files (if prompted) and click OK.
  7. Next, right click on Program Files (x86) and left click properties
  8. In the Attributes section, click to clear the Read-only check box
  9. Click Apply and OK

Step 3: Turn Off Services:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box located right above Start type services.msc and hit Enter on your keyboard
  3. When the Services window opens scroll down until you see PML Driver (or something similar). Click on the PML Driver to open the Properties window
  4. Change the Start-up Type to Disabled
  5. Click Apply and OK
  6. Next, find the entry for Net Driver HPZ12 and click it to open the Properties window.
  7. Change the Start-up type to Disabled. Select Apply and OK.

Step 4: Remove HP Files:

2. Select Computer
  3. Click on your C Drive
  4. Click Windows
  5. Click System32
  6. Look for: HPZipm12.dll and HPZinw12.dll. Right click these two files and 'delete' them.
  7. Close the folder.

Step 5: Remove HP Software:

Even though your install is failing, there is a chance that some portions of the Software and Driver package made their way on your system. To ensure that we have a nice clean slate to work with, please do the following.

2. Select All Programs
  3. Select the HP folder
  4. Select your HP Officejet
  5. Select HP Uninstall

Follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall of your printer.

Step 6: Remove Registry Keys:

• First, back up your Windows Registry:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box type Regedit and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the Registry opens click File and Export
  4. Click the Save in menu and choose Desktop
  5. In the File Name box type HPBackup
  6. In the Save as type menu, click Registration Files
  7. In the Export Range menu, click ALL
  8. Select Save
  • Next, alter the Registry:
  1. In the Registry window select HKEY_Local_Machine
  2. Select Software
  3. Select Hewlett-Packard
  4. Right-click all keys for the product in use (HP Officejet) and any prior printers that you no longer use and select Delete.

Step 7: Reinstall Drivers:

1. Please click here to download the appropriate drivers for your printer
  2. Once the website opens select the Download button on the top left
  3. Allow the download to Run
  4. Follow any onscreen steps to reinstall your printer
  5. If using a USB Cable connection, do not plug in the USB Cable until the installer prompts you to.

Source: Fatal Error 'Error 2753'

Please let me know if the steps I've provided resolve your installation issues. I look forward to hearing from you! Smiley Happy

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks, X-23, I'll try it when I get home from work!

Jim Stinson

HP Recommended

OK.  Did everything ablve EXCEPT the part with deleting the *.dll files.  They aren't on my computer. Oh, yeah...NO PML anything on HD, as well, so did not do that part either.

RE downloaded installer.

Ran installer from 'Adminstrator' account.

Same problem as above...Error 1722.

What gives?

HP Recommended

Hello @JimStinson,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding this issue. I see that you're essentially back to square one again with the 'Error 1722: Failed to add port monitor HP Discovery Port Monitor'. Just so you are aware, this is generally a print spooler error on your Windows computer. The Print Spooler is the print system built into your Windows computer. If the Print Spooler is not running properly you will experience issues installing printers and printing from your computer. To check the Print Spooler for corruptions please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Check Spooler:

2. In the 'search programs and files' box located right above Start type services.msc and hit enter on your keyboard
  3. When the Services window opens, scroll down until you see Print Spooler
  4. Click on Print Spooler once just to highlight it
  5. In the top left hand corner select 'Stop' to temporarily stop the print system on your computer.
  6. Minimize the Services window
  7. Click on your Start menu
  8. Select Computer
  9. Select your C Drive
  10. Select the Windows folder
  11. Select System32
  12. Select Spool
  13. Select PRINTERS (you may get a 'continue' Admin warning. Just allow this to go through)
  14. This folder should be empty. If there are any files in this PRINTERS window just right click and delete them.
  15. Close the PRINTERS folder
  16. Reopen the Services window
  17. Select Start for Print Spooler. If you get any errors when starting the Print Spooler service please note them down as it will be important to let me know exactly what the error is.

Step 2: Run Microsoft Fix It:

This Microsoft Tool will run on your computer and check for any Print system issues. Should any issues be found than the Microsoft Fix It tool will attempt to resolve those Print System issues for you.

1. Please click here to access the Microsoft Fix It Center website
  2. Select 'Print, fax, scan, share, or save' under Step 2.
  3. Select 'Diagnose and fix printer and printing problems automatically' under Step 3.
  4. Allow the Tool to Run when prompted

Follow any onscreen steps to complete the Microsoft Fix It tool. If any Print System issues are discovered and cannot be resolved, please note the exact error so you can pass that error on to me.

If everything runs fine, please try to install your HP Officejet again.

Please let me know if these steps resolve your installation error. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.