Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Rainbow7000:

Do I need to start all over again or back to step 10?  If I start over do I need to unintall the software/drivers prior to starting over?

HP Recommended

Rainbow, thanks again for the help.

I ran the S ystem File Check and it did correct errors.  I ran it a second time and it did no find any problems.

I ran the L3 unistall and it failed again at the same point as before but this time at 58% complete.  I allowed it to continue to completion and reboot the computer.  In ran the System File Check again and found no problems.  I ran the L3 unistall again and it faled again in the same place.

I reinstalled the printer software with no errors reported durring the process. 

Tried running scan and this time it put up the scan menu, but when I selected proceed it failed as before.  Tried again and it failed as soon as I selected scan.  For completeness I ran the System File Check again and no issues were found.

Any further suggestions?  I dont seem to be the only one with these problems, so are you certain its is not a problem with the HP printer software?

HP Recommended

Rainbow,

I ran the SFC and and it did find and repair corupt files.  I ranthe SFC again and no problems were found.  I then followed the steps you posted and the Level 3 untility still failed in the same place with the sane error message,   I continued as before and reinstalled the software.  The scan failed again with the same error message.  For completeness I ran the SFC after the error and it reported all was well,

I am on vacation until September 8th so wont be able to test any other suggestions you may have until I get back.   I will be monitoring the forum and oicking up email.

HP Recommended

Rainbow7000:

The instructions for restarting the Window Installer does seem to work on Windows 10.  I hit the windows button at the left bottom of the screen and there is no "search programs and files" option.  I searched for a file called just "Windows Installer"  and did not find it.

HP Recommended

@gators1307,
No, you do not have to run through all of the steps again. Try holding the Windows Key on your keyboard + R to bring up the Run box, and then type in "services.msc" to populate the services box. There you should be able to find "Windows Installer" and stop it, and start it again from there. Continue with the Level 3 installation steps again, and proceed from there.

@Billingsgate,
Please try the same steps I have been mentioning to stop and restart the Windows Installer to hopefully repair the issue with the installer on your system. Afterwards, try the Level 3 uninstall again and proceed with the same steps I previously mentioned.

Good luck 🙂

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Rainbow7000:

When throufh all the sets again and reset Window Installer and still get the same message.  The Window Install was in the stopped position so I started it and stopped it then restarted it. 

HP Recommended

@gators1307,

Does the Windows Installer start successfully?

Also, you can try the System File Checker scan on your PC to scan for corrupt files. You can run the scan up to three times.

Here are the instructions on how to run the SFC scan: System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files

Let me know if any errors were detected and fixed and run the scan until no corrupt files are detected. try running the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows again when you are done with running the SFC scans.

Keep me posted on the results!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Rainbow7000:

Window Installer indicated it is started.  Ran the SFC scan and there were no issues.  Reinstall the printer and still have the same error message.

HP Recommended

@gators1307, and @Billingsgate, this can apply to you too as you are having the same issue.

Here are my next suggestions. Some steps will be steps you have tried before however, please try them in order.

Step 1: Remove Driver:

1. Click on your Start button

ps 1.png

2. Type Programs and Features. If a search doesn't automatically start, you may need to type Programs and Features in the 'Ask me Anything' box.

3. Click Programs and Features to launch the window.

4. In Programs and Features, a list of programs installed on your computer will populate. Please scroll down the list and look for your printer. If you see your HP printer listed, click it and choose Uninstall.

5. Please follow any onscreen prompts to complete the uninstall. Once the uninstall has completed successfully please close Programs and Features.

6. Next, click on your Start menu again

7. This time type Devices

8. Click Devices and Printers to launch the window.

ps 2.png

9. In Devices and Printers look for your HP printer. If you see if please right click on it and choose 'Remove' or 'Delete'

10. Once your HP Deskjet is no longer showing in Devices and Printers please click on any device under the Printers list once just to highlight it. Click Print Server Properties at the top

ps 5.png

11. Click on the Drivers tab

12. Look for your HP printer driver. If listed, please click on it and choose Remove

13. Select Remove Driver Only

14. Select OK

15. Click Apply and OK under the Print Server Properties window.

16. Close Devices and Printers. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Clear Temp Files:

1. Click on your Start menu

2. Type Run. Click Run to launch the Run dialogue box.

ps 3.png

3. Type %temp% in the Run box and click OK

ps 4.png

4. When the Temp folder opens, select Ctrl + A at the same time on your keyboard. Everything in this folder will now highlight.

5. Select the 'delete' button on your keyboard. The Temp folder contains temporary internet files. No actual files or folders on your computer will be affected by deleting the Temp files. Should a Temp file still be used than you will automatically get the pop up to 'skip' that item.

6. Close the Temp folder once it is emptied

7. Right click the Recycling Bin on your desktop and select Empty Recycling Bin. Please proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Unlock Hidden System Administrator Account:

1. Click on your  Start menu and under the 'search programs and files' box type CMD
  2. CMD will populate as a search option above, just right click on it and 'run as administrator'
  3. Once CMD (Command Prompt) opens, type net user administrator /active:yes and hit enter
    on your keyboard
  4. Next, close CMD and restart your computer
  5. When your computer comes on log into the new Account that should show. It will be called Administrator and will not have a password on it.
  6. If your computer automatically logs into your Account after restart than go to your Start menu click the arrow beside 'shutdown' and choose 'switch user'. Now log into the Administrator Account.
  7. Under the Administrator Account please run the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows to download the Full Feature Software and Driver package for your printer.
  8. Follow the onscreen instructions to install your printer
  9. Once the installation is complete please open the HP Solution Center software to confirm the the scan software opens and functions correctly
  10. If HP Solution Center software now functions fine, please log out of the Administrator Account and back into your normal User Account.
  11. Under your User Account, the printer Full Feature Software and Driver package should show fully installed. Please click on the HP Solution Center icon to confirm if it still opens correctly. If HP Solution Center opens fine please perform a test scan to confirm functionality.

If the HP Solution Center software works fine, you will need to hide the Administrator Account.

Try logging in to your normal account and try using the printers software and testing the printer.

My fingers are crossed, good luck!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Rainbow7000

On step 3 the first instruction I do not have a "search programs and files" box,  did a search and still could not find it. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.