Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Didn't work.

I did a level 4 scrub.  Restart.

I looked at Devices and Printers and the printer was still there.  Removed it. 

I did another level 4 scrub.  Restart.

I used the OJP8500V909_Full_14.exe freshly downloaded to my computer. 

After extraction and selecting network printer, I get the pop-up stating:  "The system cannot find the file specified." 

I am going to HP directly.  This has got to stop!   

Jim Guess
One-on-One
Computer Help
HP Recommended

Jim, you have my sympathy - it took me five weeks before I manged to get my wireless all in one printer working on a new laptop, the software is dreadful!

I also got the dreaded "The system cannot find the file specified." on a number of occasions and tried so many times, getting different results, it is hard to say exactly what fixed it. I would suggest that you download the free CCcleaner from Piriform and run that as well as the level 4 scrub. Also I found it essential to turn off antivirus checks to avoid "file not found" errors - it appears that they think it is a virus and block the file without telling you!

Not sure if you will get far with HP - I just got "Your printer is out of warrenty" when I tried.

Good luck! 

HP Recommended

Thank you, Edward,

I do have CCCleaner and run it regularly. 

I have also tried turning off my antivirus. 

I will try all three at once and see if it works. 

Jim Guess
One-on-One
Computer Help
HP Recommended

Hello Edward,

It worked! 

I ran the scrubber.

Then I ran CCCleaner.

Then I turned off my antivirus.

Then I ran the installation package. 

No errors! 

I did this in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. 

No errors! 

Whew! 

Why doesn't HP write this stuff up for us to follow? 

Jim Guess
One-on-One
Computer Help
HP Recommended

Jim, I am absolutly delighted - saving anybody the five weeks of frustration it took me to work it out has got to be good. Maybe if you tick the kudos box it will guide others to the solution.

I am now fighting a different error, on  a different laptop,  where the printer (HPOfficejet 6500 wireless) has installed and all associated programs are working fine BUT the computer icon in the Devices and Printers page says "needs trouble shooting" and tells me it has no printer driver! Try to find it and Windows says "No driver found". So when I reboot the printer will not work. I had a life before HP!!!

Regards, Edward

HP Recommended

Thanks for all your help guys.  I did do the level 4 scrub and turned off my antivirus during the install process after having done so many other things this morning but this thread ultimately saved me.  There was a patch I installed as well and updated all of my windows updates as well.  Had HP on the phone this morning and they pretty much told me they don't support this printer anymore  HP C6180.  See what happens when you have to update from XP?  All driver stuff is time consuming and this is a Windows 7 PC.  I figured all the driver situations would have been resolved by now.  The new GUI for the scan features looks nicer than what my XP had on it, it was also buggy on that system as well. 

Thanks a million though!

Finally happy printer/software user.

HP Recommended

Mario -

I have looked at all the posts, and my issue is slightly different. I have successfully installed my J6480 drivers and other software on my Win7 laptop. It usually runs fine, but every so often I get "HP Visual C++ Runtime Library     This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual manner. Please contact the application's support team for more information"  when I start the Solution Center.  If I acknowledge the message, it crashes the Solution Center and leaves fragments that prevent me retrying until I reboot. If I move the information box to the side and ignore it, I can continue to do whatever I opened the management software to do (copy document, send fax, etc). In one of the posts, one of the steps was to install some C++ updates, but when there is a choice of files to download, there is no information which file(s) to download, so I'm stuck in limbo. Should I continue to ignore the problem, or is there an invisible vulnerability?

HP Recommended

I'm having same issues on both Win7 PC and Win8.1 ultrabook. I've tried everything except OS reinstall.

Error1.jpgError2.jpg

There is no 7z...CCC or Util folder to perform level 3 uninstall. I've gone through uninstall of the HP tools and installed the C++ libraries as instructed. No joy.

Is this problem going to continue with any HP printer I use? Do I need to switch brands to avoid this?

HP Recommended

I am seeing this error/issue the last few days among networked computers/printers. In each case I have to remove the printer under each user's profile on the computer, then under Admin delete the driver, then run CCleaner, reboot then add the printer under the user's profile again which reinstalls the driver from the server.

In most cases I have to stop and start the Print Spooler service before I am able to remove the driver on the PC because of an error that that says the driver is in use. Possible corruption of the printer driver I am guessing.

What is the cause of all this? I have had to fix 8 computers in two days.  All Windows 7 64bit computers.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the tip and trend. I am able to print and that driver seesm to be fine. It is the HP utility software that is failing, though.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.