Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 6P
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have searched this HP discussion board before for a solution of the common problem of getting a LJ6P to print from Win7 and newer OS's, but I just can't seem to resolve the problem.  The best I can do is sometimes get communication from my Win7 laptop to the 6P via a USB/DB-25 cable, but never consistently.

So a new approach - networking. 

Today I purchased a TP-Link AC 1750 Archer C8 router that has both USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports that can be configured as printer servers.  (BTW, the old HP Jet Direct 500X with three parallel ports was a great print server in its' day.)  Looking at the TP-Link instructions, it states to "Check the Printer Compatibility List to verify whether your printer is supported by the router."  I could not find a "Printer Compatibility List" even with their tech support staff's help.  I/we did find a "Printer Server Compatibility List" though.  There are 9 HP LaserJet Print Servers listed -

Models:  1020, 1200, 1300, 3020, 3030, 3052, M1132 and M1536dnf. 

So do you suppose if I were to install one of these print servers that it would communicate with the 6P Win7 printer driver?  And if so, which print server is your recommendation?

Please be aware that years ago when I worked in IT, print drivers and print servers were two separate things.  For all I know, that may not be the case today.

Or is there an HP product that I can buy that will  work?  I really like this old LaserJet 6P.

Thanks,

Scott

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

>> ... There are 9 HP LaserJet Print Servers listed -

>> ... Models:  1020, 1200, 1300, 3020, 3030, 3052, M1132 and M1536dnf 

Those models are (LaserJet) printer models, not print server names. 

... and I'm a bit confused by your use of "... router that has both USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports ..." since (unless I've misunderstood something) you'd still have to make use of a USB/DB25 cable (which, as you comment, is not always reliable) to connect the printer to the router.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, Dan.

Yeah, I did a search for a couple of those "print servers" on HP.com and saw they are actually printers.  I am thinking my confusion with the printer/print server thing is probably going back to my Netware days and that maybe Windows has combined the two. (?) 

I am not sure where the drop-off problem lays.  IIRC, my current reliability issue is very similar to what it was when I tried using the old JetDirect 500x external print server which used the original style parallel ports and cables.  In other words, similar problems with different types of cables and printer connectivity. 

So is it hardware or software?  The printer is probably at least 15 years old.  And I ain't no spring chicken myself.  So that has to be it.  Age.

Last night I was thinking about how much time I have put into this problem over the past 3+ years since I bought my current and parallel-less port Win7 laptop.  And I decided enough is enough.  I have a nice HP inkjet and a little research shows that I can buy a new entry level laser for around $150. 

So that's it.  I am unhooking the printer, taking it & the 500X upstairs and throwing them in my pile of old computer stuff.  Probably going to return the new router as well.

Although, I wonder if I could get it to print on a desktop PC with a parallel port?  Or maybe a Linux OS?  How about a Mac?  Hmmm...:smileylol:

Hope this made sense.  I just woke up & haven't even had coffee yet. 

Once again, Dan, thanks for the reply.

HP Recommended

>> ... I wonder if I could get it to print on a desktop PC with a parallel port?

I've no idea where you'd be able to get such a beast nowadays, apart from the second-hand market. 

Having said that, you can probably still purchase 'parallel-port' cards which would fit internally into your PC - obviously you'd have to get one which matched the slot types available on the motherboard.

>> ... The printer is probably at least 15 years old ...

So any circumvention might not be worth it.

>> ... And I ain't no spring chicken myself ...

I'm heading towards my eighth decade (i.e. nearly 70).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.