Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet MFP M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OK.  I have seen other posts with this error.  But I believe mine is a little different.

The problem:  Prnter will not print anything at all, even a test page.  It will not copy anything either.  The Memory Low - Job Cancelled message comes up./  Worked for 2 days flawlessly, then this started.

Printer is connected via network (hard-wired), but tried wireless too.

Software is installed on a windows 10 machine.

Besides the windows machine, print requests are sent to it through the network via an iPad and an iPhone.  HPeprint is also used.

Troubleshooting:  I have done the following trying to recify problem:

Unplugged printer while on for 30 seconds. 

Reset printer to defaults

Re-did the network setup via the touch screen

Deleted printer in windows and deleted driver packages.  Reinstalled using supplied software.  Also tried to install using "add a printer" in windows.

Possible fixes that are not going to work or me:

Set up as an IP printer -- It loses functionality and have to choose additionaly drivers manually to scan etc..

Connect via USB to the computer -- If I do this do I not lose the ability for the iPads and iPhone to print to the printer -- or at lease makes that dependant on the computer being turned on and sharing being set up

I will say that after I tried to set up the prnter using "add a printer" in windows, I could not get the printer to print the test page - nothing happened, but did not get the memory error message.  I deleted the print queue and even removed all the files from the spools subdirectory in system32...  ButI cannot get rid of the printer now under "printers and devices" in control panel...

Please help!  Pulling whats left of my hair out.... 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED.

After many weeks of rtying many different things to remedy the issues

1) After installation of new Dual Band Arris modem by Internet carrier, printer would no longer respond.  First issue was a low memory error.  After reset printer would no longer respond at all

2) Tried installing and uninstalling printer in many ways, ethernet, wireless and USB.  Printer would never even print a test page.  Attempts to print configuration pages or any other reports would result in 49 service error

3) BrightHouse (carrier) was in home 3 separate times to tweak the modem, attempt to uninstall and reinstall the printer, etc.

The problem turns out to be that with certain modems, the HP cannot communicate via IPv6 with te modem (they do not play nice together using IPv6) either due to the HP or the modem, likely HP because of the fact that it seems to always be HP printers having this issue.

Here are the steps that I took that finally resolved this.  Please note that the solution came from a BrightHouse technician from a different website.  I am just passing along the info in case it helps others:

1) Uninstall the printer completely from the PC, including the printer, any software it installed, drivers, and any ports you may have created trying to recify problems

2) Shut down the computer

3) Unplug the ethernet cable from the printer (if applicable)

4) Hit the reset button on the printer's home screen to reset to defaults

5) Do a cold reset of the printer (email the HP support folks for procedure)

6) On the printer interface (screen) go into settings; network settings, network services.  Here you will see IPv4 and IPv6.  Turn OFF IPv6.  Do not mess wth IPv4 (leave it on). 

7)  Plug in the ethernet cable into the printer or enable/setup wireless settings using the printer interface (screen).

😎 Turn on the computer

9) Install the printer using the CD that came with it or installation software downloaded from HP's site.

I am not sure every single one of these steps is absolutely necessary, like step 4, but this is what I did...

I have seen so many posts on the internet with HP printers not installing correctly and throwing a 49 service error instead.  Not sure how many such problems this applies to.  But HP needs to fix this IPv6 issue with their printers or at least try to research the cause... 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @mde8965,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're getting an error message that the memory is low on your HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw Printer. I would be happy to help you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos.

Click here to download and update the printer's firmware (connected USB).

I suggest that you try to connect the printer with the USB connection. I understand that this connection type is not an ideal for you, however for troubleshooting purposes it would be helpful to know if it works.

To address the issue with the driver: 

To remove the driver from your computer, try these steps.

■ For Windows® 10

1. Turn off the printer.
  2. Click [Start Menu] - [All Apps] - [Windows System] - [Control Panel] - [Hardware and Sound] - [Devices and Printers].
  3. Choose "HP Laserjet MFP M277dw", right-click on the icon and then click [Remove device].
    If a User Account Control message appears, type in the password, and then click [Yes].

4. Choose [Fax] or [Microsoft XPS Document Writer] in the [Devices and Printers] window, and then click [Print server properties], which appeared in the menu bar.

5. Click the [Drivers] tab, and then click [Change Driver Settings].
    If a User Account Control message appears, type in the password, and then click [Yes].
    Choose "HP Laserjet MFP M277dw", and then click [Remove...].

6. Choose [Remove driver and driver package], and then click [OK].
    Follow the on-screen instructions.

7. Close the [Print Server Properties] window. The printer driver has been uninstalled.

8. Reboot the computer.
  9. Try adding the device again.

Source

If you're still experiencing issues.

Try again. 

To address the memory error: 

I see that you reset the printer to defaults, which didn't help. I suggest we try a NVRAM Reset on the printer. I can send you that information in a private message. In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thank you for your response.

I tried the method you describe but after installation it fails to print a test page.

A few days after initial installation of the printer via network, the Internet provider upgraded the modem to a dual band modem. The problems with this printer seem to coincide with that upgrade.

Both this printer and a USB scanner both began having issues,

I have a tech coming tomorrow from the Internet provider to troubleshoot.

I will post the results back here. And if they can't figure it out I will welcome any other suggestions based on what I find out.

Thanks again
HP Recommended

Hi @mde8965,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm very happy to hear that a technician is coming out to see what is wrong.

The wireless connection may have been impacted by the replacement of the modem, as the configuration would be different. That being said, the USB connection wouldn't have been effected by this.

When the technician comes, please confirm that the 2.4 GHz network and the 5.0 GHz network do not have the same network name. If they do, have the technician rename the 5.0 Ghz network. I would make sure that the router is broadcasting the SSID, do not hide the SSID. Lastly, I would setup a static IP address on the printer. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks Drakster.

So the Bright House technician came out.  That was a train wreck.  He started off the conversation with the fact that the new routers they are dolling out are really good and he has not had anyone complain about issues with peripherals. 

Anyway, so he tested the modem and of course both bands were working.  I asked about the different names for the two bands.  And he showed me where they had the same ID but the 5.0ghz band had 5ghz in paretheses at the end of it (not sure that means it is a different name - and if not I have no idea how to change that).  

I asked him about the SSID, but he wasn't listening and did not answer that question, instead he started messing with the printer and I forgot to ask again. 

At that point he was insistant that the modem is not to blame.  He could not figure out the problem, but blames it on the printer and he bolted.  Said something must be stuck in the printer because the 49 service error kept coming up.  See below.  Obviously not very knowledgable.

The printer is doing two things at this point.  Either wired via ethernet or wireless - tried both ways.  I can completely uninstall it in windows, drivers and all.  Unplug the printer and eventually plug it in - reset it on the touch screen.  Then proceed with install either using the disk that came with the printer or just doing the "add a printer" in windows.

Either way it looks like it installs fine.  It shows online.  Windows ays it is working properly, the printer shows the IP address etc. 

But when I get to the stage where I print a test page, the printer touch screen shows "printing document" but it just hangs there and nothing comes out - I waitied 30 minutes.  I can delete the test page from the queue, but the printer still shows printing document.  So I turn it off then back on again.  Now if I try to print anything else and too if I try to print a configuration report straight from the touchscreen I get a 49 service error and the printer reboots.

Thinking maybe that all the installations of the printer on the windows computer had somehow screwed up the windows registry, i broke out my Macbook pro.  Installed the printer on that (with the printer wired to the network via ethernet and the macbook connected to the network wirelessly).  Then tried to print the test page and got a Mac error saying it could not communicate with the printer, even though it was showing installed corectly. 

Finally I downloaded and ran the HP scan and printer doctor (I may have the name wrong).  It initially said the driver was not the most recent.  So I let it update.  Then tried the installation several more times rebooting in between.  The HP doctor tool no longer found any errors, but still no luck getting the printer to work

So I have no idea what to do now.  As I said I was initially wired via ethernet.  Then I tried wireless.  USB is not an option but did try that and could not get the printer to respnd that way either.

One other thing that I need to note here.  I am having some weird issues with my Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner at the same time.  It seems like when I go through a series of installations of the HP printer, that occassionally the Fujitsu decides it is not going to work at all anymore unless I boot the computer or unplug the computer.  Not sure if this is somehow pointing to a conflict between the devices, or what to do if it is.   Note the Fujitsu is connected to the windows computer via USB.

Can you tell me exactly what to do to assign this thing a static IP address via ethernet? I cannot administer the router because Brighouse has a lockdown on that functionality as far as I can tell.  Unless I just have no idea what I am doing.  I tried pinging 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 and it would not connect to the router or bring up the settings.

Any other troubleshooting tips would be great too, keeping in mind that I am not very good with networks, routers and the like.  I know I gave a lot of info, but I am really at a loss...

Please help.  I am going crazy.  Thanks 

HP Recommended

Hi @mde8965,

Thanks for getting back to me again. 

It sounds like you have been through a lot, I'm sorry the technician wasn't very helpful.

Do you have more than one router configured on your network or just the one?  

If you have a dual band router, normally you have a 2.4 GHz and 5.0 Ghz network setup for each band. If you see a 5.0 GHz and a 5.0 (GHz ). This could mean you have more than one router or an range extender, which is complicating the matter. If the router's network settings are not setup correctly, it can cause headaches. Both networks should have a unique SSID, otherwise there will be issues with the printer connectivity.

If the printer does not work USB either, there could be a device conflict or perhaps the printer is in an error state as we first suspected.

I understand you tried the NVRAM reset, but the printer hasn't printed anything since. Is this correct? 

Is the low memory error still showing up? if so, is the error on the printer or computer? 

Please try printing a wireless test report by going to the Help Menu (?),  choose Self Diagnostics and select Run Wireless Test. Please try this to see if the report will print and please note any error messages or lights blinking on the printer.  

If the report prints off with no issues, please see this guide for setting up a static IP address. 

Printer Does Not Maintain a Wireless Connection

Please respond to this post with the results. I look forward to hearing from you. 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Thanks for those instructions Drakster.

I ran another test and I believe I have narrowed the problem to the dual band modem or settings on it.

I took the desktop computer, the printer and the Fujitsu scanner to a friends house. He has Verizon FIOS. I connected the printer to his network via Ethernet and turned it on. Then I connected the scanner to the PC. I connected the PC to the network via Ethernet and turned everything on. The printer started reacting even as the PC was booting up. And it worked flawlessly as did the scanner. In fact his network and my PC installed the printer without me having to do anything.

So my next step is going to be to call bright house to come get this dual band modem out of here and give me one like I had before. If that does not solve it I will follow all your directions you kindly posted and will report back.

I know the dual band modem should work but apparently bright house is not good enough or smart enough to help me. Shame. I would go to Verizon but it's not available in my neighborhood.

I printed a configuration report when the printer was working at the friends house. Don't know if that will help anything.

Thanks.
HP Recommended
I forgot to mention there is only one router and no repeater or extender in my system. There is a power line adapter. But my old modem never had an issue with that
HP Recommended

Hi @mde8965,

Thanks for the information.

I'm very happy to hear that you were able to get the printer and computer working at a friends house. This means the router's configuration is the key.

You could always buy and install your own router, but I don't know if you want to go that route.

Best of luck. 🙂 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended
Hi again Drakster. I was googling issues with bright house modems and printers. In particular the Arris brand modem. I found a post that said if your HP printer won't work with your Arris modem and you are getting a 49 service error to disable IPv6 on the printer settings. But leave IPv4 on. A bunch of people posted after that saying it worked.

Does this sound plausible? I am on my way out of town on business and won't be back until Sunday. But if this sounds bogus then I don't want to get my hopes up.

Let me know what you think. Thanks
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.