Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

lcriv,

This article should help resolve the issue give the steps a shot and let me know the results:

HP Deskjet Printers - Cleaning and Maintaining the Printer http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bud09248

HP All-in-One and Fax Product Family - Cleaning the All-in-One http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/buu01831

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
HP Recommended

I do IT work for a library that has an Officejet 6500 seriesE709 printer that practically screams when printing. I lubricated the printhead travel shaft and cleaned the rollers, still no help. I removed the duplex printing unit from the back of the printer and  . .viola... the noise is gone! Unfortunately the library no longer has the plate that replaces the duplex print unit .  Now does anyone know how to trouble shoot the duplex unit?????

HP Recommended
I have no idea what to do to troubleshoot the duplexer, but I do know my printer did not come with a plate to cover the place where the duplexer went. In the end, I replaced the 6500 after the print head had problems accepting the ink - black ink would streak and color wouldn't print at all. My new printer is an HP Deskjet 8100 since I rarely used the scan and fax capability of the printer. Quiet as a mouse (for now, at least).
HP Recommended

@CharlesA wrote:
I have no idea what to do to troubleshoot the duplexer, but I do know my printer did not come with a plate to cover the place where the duplexer went. In the end, I replaced the 6500 after the print head had problems accepting the ink - black ink would streak and color wouldn't print at all. My new printer is an HP Deskjet 8100 since I rarely used the scan and fax capability of the printer. Quiet as a mouse (for now, at least).

Thanks for the "heads up" on the duplexer. Perhaps this plate isn't needed, if I remove the duplexer, the paper shoots out of the space where I removed it, maybe I have a software setting off somewhere. Does anyone know if I have a missing part?

HP Recommended

I have the HP Officejet and love it.  That is, until it started squeaking and it balked when trying to pull paper through.  I remembered something I learned in an office.  I tried it and it worked. 

Take witch hazel (rubbing alcohol) and a washcloth.  Put a little on the washcloth and then rub on the rollers.  It stopped the squeaking and it picks up the paper again.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

Check the pulleys on the belt which moves the print carriage.

Put a drop of oil on them. Noise will stop.

HP Recommended

I fixed this problem by oiling, with household oil 3 in 1 (because hp would not reccommend a weight etc.).  I took off the duplexer which is where the noise was coming from and oiled the plactic axels that the wheels of the duplexer ride on.  After that no more noise.  I love this printer overall but this issue and the constant loss of network connectivity every time I print is a real annoyance.  I have gone to dual USB and network printing to avoid that loss of connection issue.

Hope that helps,

lcriv

HP Recommended

Please help with solution to HP printer making a squeaking noise when printing...problem seems very prevelent as there are many blogs on this subject.  Thanks Joan OC

HP Recommended

Joan you will need to oil the wheels.  I would start by taking off the plastic duplexer panel in the back and putting a drop of oil on each axel spinning and whiping off the excess.  IF the noise continues the do the same for the paper feeding wheels, and the cartridge cariage assembly which is the thing that the ink cartridges ride on i.e. open the front door and see where the carriage could rub.  I would do each one in that order and see if the noise will go away.  Like I said I just oiled the duplexer and voila noise was gone and never reappeared.  I love this machine now.  Before it sounded awful though.

Best of luck

lcriv

HP Recommended

This fixed my problem!The problem was in the duplexer unit.  Our library said this printer "screamed" from day one and now it sounds like a new one. I removed the duplex unit from the printer and put household oil (like 3 in One), on all of the rotating nylon parts that I could reach at their junction with the metal axle, and using a Q tip, wiped away any excess. The printer just hums now like it should.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.