Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have owned this product since February and it worked flawlessly up until about two weeks ago.  I do a lot of scans and the scanner started acting up.  It freezes in the middle of scanning and stays frozen indefinently.  I am forced to turn off the printer because it stays in this frozen state.  Once powered off, I unplug the unit for 30 seconds to 1 minute then plug it back in and power on.  Up until about a week ago, after this power off, the unit would not freeze again for 5-10 scans.  Now, it freezes and I have to go thru the entire power off sequence on every scan. 

I have tried everything...I even downloaded the HP Printer troubleshooter and it found nothing wrong with my connections, the drivers, or the software.  It indicated everything was fine.  I have done power off after power off, I have rebooted my computer, I have unplugged the printer from the wall outlet and into a Surge Protector and vice versa...nothing seems to correct this issue.

This printer is still under the manufacturer warranty and I am hoping someone might have an answer for me besides having to send it in for repair.  I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

I've been an HP 8600 owner for over a year and this issue just surfaced for me as well.  Can HP please respond on how to best address this issue?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Have spoken with HP Tech Support ( India ) 6 times in last month about this problem and they are baffled after trying the usual "fixes" of reinstallation, firmware updates, etc.  They insist it is a software problem, while I think it is hardware related, perhaps a temporary thermal shutoff occurring. At any rate, even though I have a 3 year extended warranty , ie HP Care Pack Service, they refuse to replace the printer.  Currently, they tell me they are conferring with Engineering.

HP Recommended

I spoke to HP about the issue and I was on the phone for about an hour trying to get the machine working right.  After it froze on just about every scan that HP did thru my computer, HP insisted the problem was software related so they reinstalled the software and said everything looked fixed.   Unfortunantly, the scanner froze up 5 or 6 scans later so the problem is definantly not the software!  The only thing that fixes the problem is shutting off the printer, unpluging it, plugging it back in and restarting.  I also have to restart my computer because it loses the connection to the printer when turned off.  Everytime I have to do this I waste at least 10 minutes.  It happens every 3-5 scans now.  I don't have the time or patience to call HP again because all they will say is it is a software issue.  When I asked during the inital call, they refused to replace the printer even though it was only months old when the problem first surfaced.

HP Recommended

I am getting the feeling there are a lot of people that have had or will experience this same scanner freezing issue.  I have spent hours on the phone with HP Tech Support and each time they try something they think they have fixed it, when invariably it will freeze again after they hang up. I think they are not able to fix this and they are stalling, hoping we will go away! I do not intend to give up on this problem with HP.  I find the Techs don't listen very well when I explain the problem. They have a  preconceived fix in their minds and won't go beyond that. I have also talked with the Tech Supervisor several times and he is no help. HP's Tech Support needs a serious overhaul. I have always been a loyal HP printer customer ( have owned at least 12 of them), but I am becoming disillusioned with them and may well venture back to Epson or Canon.

HP Recommended

Has anyone found a resolution to this? I am having the same issue. The printer freezes and my computer loses communicaiton with the printer after 4-5 scanned pages. 

I've re-installed drivers. I've ran Print and Scan Doctor. Still has issues. 

I scan a LOT so I need it to work. 

HP Recommended

I just ran into the issue.  Printer freezes after scanning 6-7 pages.  The only way to unfreeze is to restart the printer.  Sometimes I get more pages scan before the freeze but this is quite frustrating because I get very nervous using the scanner because I hate wasting my time redoing my scan job.

HP Recommended

Sorry to report that after I finally cajoled HP into replacing the 8600 under the extended warranty that I had purchased, the replacement started freezing up during scans within 3 weeks. I don't want to waste anymore time on the phone with HP tech so I have decided to live with the problem and unplugging the printer for a few seconds and restarting the scan usually works for that scan. It may be days before it freezes again, but it does continue to freeze. I am convinced HP does not know what is causing this to happen. I will definitely rethink whether I want another HP when this one finally dies.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone, and welcome to the HP Forums.

I understand you are experiencing scan issues.  I would love to try and help you, but I do need a little information first. I am linking a few HP Support documents below that will show you how to find which operating system you are using. Also, if you're using Windows, please include whether your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit. With this information we can provide you with accurate information.

Mac OS X: How Do I Find Which Mac OS X Version Is on My Computer?
Which Windows operating system am I running?
Is the Windows Version on My Computer 32-bit or 64-bit?

Also, are you connected via wireless or a USB cable?

Please let me know what you find.  Thanks for posting on the HP Forums.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended

My operating system is Win 8.1 64bit

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.