Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi jtkjtk,

I would recommend running the update for the HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g_n Firmware.

Please let me know how it goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks" for helping!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

"Remember, I'm pulling for you, we're all in this together!" - Red Green.
HP Recommended
I have the same problem as all of the above and IT backup cant help me. I have tried to disconnect from computer, rebooting, re setting to factory default and nothing has worked. It is only 8 weeks old. All i want to know is how to stop it from freezing? I can not even scan another copy now as it is frozen and will not move onto any other command. Please help 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the latest firmware update for the 8600, but I honestly don't know when it was installed. My last 2 scans were successful , but I won't be convinced the problem is gone until I  have successfully completed at least 6 more large scans.

In the meantime for 8600 users experiencing this freezing during scans, I recommend unplugging the printer, wait 5-10 seconds, replug and start the scan over. Don't expect to merely continue the original scan that froze; you must start over.

HP Recommended
Thank you for that & i have both unplugged the printer and shut down my computer for up to 5 minutes but it still has not erased the scan job it originally froze on! As iv'e said in my previous text, it wont let me move on to another command, its still stuck in the last print job & i receive a message across my screen saying The scanner is currently in use. Does anyone have any idea on this.
HP Recommended

Hello everyone.

I would recommend performing a power drain on the printer.  Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer, and the wall outlet, and hold the power button down for 60 seconds.  After the power drain, ensure the printer is plugged back directly into a wall jack, as opposed to a surge protector or a power bar.

Also, if you are using a wireless connection, an intermittent drop could be factoring in.  I would recommend this document on The Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Please let me know how it goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution " if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have had my 8600 for about 2 weeks and am doing lots and lots of scanning. This problem has just started to emerge and I thought I would Google it. Was a bit worried to find this thread.

@Jamieson: I have done a power drain one of the times it fails, and it does sort it for a while, eventually it picks up where it left off and starts crashing again. I was on wireless and the problem there did seem to be drop outs. I have since moved over to USB but that has not actually changed things.

I have tried to leave the printer for a long time and this does not fix it, then only thing that works is forcing it off.
Interestingly if you are scanning to a usb storage device the problem still occurs, and when it does it corrupts the usb device (lost me a few hours of scanning when I found that one out 😞 )

I am on Windows 7 Professional with Service pack 1 (64 bit), but as it can lock up while scanning to a usb memory device while entirely disconnected from the PC I think the problem looks to be at the printer end of things.

HP Recommended

Hi Sam_8600_Plus ,

I would recommend making a standalone photocopy from the printer, and let me know if it works without issue, or experiences the same issue.

I would then recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  Once you have launched the tool, select the 'fix scanning' option.

Please keep me posted.

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Experiencing this problem on:

* Windows 7 Professional, with Service Pack 1, 64 bit, all MS updates applied.

* Mac OS-X 10.9.4 

Printer is connected on a wireless n network.

on the Windows 7 workstation I am accessing through the HP Scan tool, scanning to Searchable PDF's, color, 300dpi 

on the Mac - I open the scanner through the Printers and Scanners module on the System Preferences interface.

Getting to be a real pain here.  No other errors are presented, it just hangs mid page.  Some times after a few pages in the same document.  Sometimes after I've scanned many 30+ page documents.  Happens without warning.

Any assist appreciated.  Have been dealing with this for some time now 😞

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. It is difficlt to pin it down. I am not using the scanner as much now so run into the issue much less often.

I will try these steps next time I enconter it.

Thanks

-Sam

HP Recommended

Hello everyone, and I hope you all had a great weekend!

Sam:

I'm glad to hear it seems to be working!  Please let me know if you have any questions.

Bfuson:

I would recommend updating the 8600 firmware updates:

Getting the Latest Firmware and Product Updates

Please let me know how it goes!

Jamieson
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.