Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

To all

Hello all

Following is information and workaround about this recent issue with the HP Scan application and new OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Issue: When the scanned image is previewed in HP Scan it looks fine, however when saved to file the images may be entirely black, contain stripes,  content may be missing, or other image irregularities.

The problem occurs when using the HP Scan application and scanning from an HP All-in-One (ENVY, Photosmart, Officejet, Deskjet, or Laserjet) with new OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Status: HP has identified root cause of this issue and will provide updated solutions ASAP for supported HP products.

Workaround:  Use Apple’s Preview or Image Capture applications to scan images and documents to your Mac. 

NOTE: You should accept all Apple Software Updates to ensure that your HP scan driver is up-to-date for use with Mavericks

If you have not used Image Capture or Apple Preview previously to scan, you may need to download the latest HP driver and HP scan driver using Apple Software Update.

How to scan using Apple Preview 

1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. In the Applications folder, Open Application.  Preview is also available from the Dock.
  3. From the File menu, select Import from Scanner.    It may take a few extra seconds for printer to show in list 
  4. Select your printer from the list. If your printer does not appear please refer to the following section on using Apple Software Update to obtain the HP scan driver.
  5. If a 'Software for this device is not installed' message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Click Show Details to view scan settings and options.
  7. Change any settings as necessary, and then click Scan.      
If this reply helped you, please say thanks by clicking the blue Kudos star.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hello all

Following is information and workaround about this recent issue with the HP Scan application and new OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Issue: When the scanned image is previewed in HP Scan it looks fine, however when saved to file the images may be entirely black, contain stripes,  content may be missing, or other image irregularities.

The problem occurs when using the HP Scan application and scanning from an HP All-in-One (ENVY, Photosmart, Officejet, Deskjet, or Laserjet) with new OS X 10.9 Mavericks

Status: HP has identified root cause of this issue and will provide updated solutions ASAP for supported HP products.

Workaround:  Use Apple’s Preview or Image Capture applications to scan images and documents to your Mac. 

NOTE: You should accept all Apple Software Updates to ensure that your HP scan driver is up-to-date for use with Mavericks

If you have not used Image Capture or Apple Preview previously to scan, you may need to download the latest HP driver and HP scan driver using Apple Software Update.

How to scan using Apple Preview 

1. Place the item that you want to scan on the scanner glass, or load it into the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) if your printer has one.
  2. In the Applications folder, Open Application.  Preview is also available from the Dock.
  3. From the File menu, select Import from Scanner.    It may take a few extra seconds for printer to show in list 
  4. Select your printer from the list. If your printer does not appear please refer to the following section on using Apple Software Update to obtain the HP scan driver.
  5. If a 'Software for this device is not installed' message displays after you select your printer, click Install, and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.
  6. Click Show Details to view scan settings and options.
  7. Change any settings as necessary, and then click Scan.      

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Sorry - doesn't work

atxortho

HP Recommended

Hi,

The workaround does in fact work for those of us who have been testing this extensively, so if you could provide more details it would be helpful to determine what the issue is that you are having.  

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello

When you say doesn't work, can you provide more details ?

Which HP model do you have and what's the connection between printer and Mac ?

One note - push scan - pushing the scan button on the printer and sending scan to the Mac does not work with Apple Preview or ImageCapture.    Is this what you are trying to do ?

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Since dispensing with original application (because I thought it was possibly corrupting new icon) the scan option etc. is greyed out in preview (apps) folder, so regrettably this is not an option!

HP Recommended

@Vanricker

I can vouch that this workaround does work and I use a HP Photosmart C410b (all-in-one) printer. When I telephoned Apple under my Applecare warranty they told me about Image Capture. Whilst not as good as HP Scan it still allowed me to do what I needed to do.

Danny 

HP Recommended

@nonplussed

have you unticked the "recommended apps" box near the bottom-middle of the window...it might be a drop-down menu...recommended and all...use all...this will un-gray apps so you an select them.

-it still might not work, but it should make it clickable for you.

HP Recommended

Um just making 100% certain, you have turned the scanner on haven't you?

Workround does create images  so hang in there

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem here with Photosmart C7280. The HP Scan start having problem with error indicating file permission problem. So I use Disk utility to repair it and got past the error. However the file generated isn't readable at all. So I uninstall the HP software using the HP uninstall. Then followed the instruction to get the latest driver.......

The driver installed ok, but it was a C7200 series driver and only have the print function. Can't scan nor fax.  And worst the old driver software was nowhere to be found from the HP support site. Every page related to driver installation points to the same useless driver from Software Update.

HP, please fix it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.