Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

On Windows you simply go to "Advanced" and then borderless printing but on the Mac it's in a very different place.

1. open a print dialog by selecting "print" in any document
  2. go to paper handling
  3. tick the "Scale to fit paper size" box
  4. at "Destination Paper Size" select the paper you want to print to, if it supports borderless there will be a second menu with the same paper but then borderless

This info is not on the manual nor in the help files and due to me not wanting to scale I never ticked that box.

Gerard van Schip
Helping people with technology since 1991

Did my answer resolve your issue? Please click on “ Accept as Solution ” so others will find this solution. This button only shows if you started the post! If you liked my answer please click on the Kudos! star to let me know, thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm sorry that you were unable to find the info on borderless that you wanted.

For borderless printing there is an alternative to what you listed:

1. Open the print dialog by selecting "Print"

2. Cllick on the Paper Size menu and select a borderless media size

3. Click "Print"

For applications that do not have a Paper Size selection menu in their Print dialog, do the following:

1. Select "File" and choose "Page Setup"

2. Select your printer in the "Format For:" menu

3. Select your borderless media size in the "Paper Size:" menu

4. Click OK

5. Select "File" and choose "Print"

6. Make any other printing adjustments that you want and click the Print button.

I work for HP.

-- If this helped, say "Thanks" by clicking Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
-- Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution". .....
HP Recommended

I am trying to create a borderless media size.  Can you help with that? I'm tying to print a card on 7 x 10 paper (image will be 5 x 7).  Since this is non-standard paper size, I'm having to use "custom size" to create it in Apple's Pages program.  Margins are set as "user defined" and 0, formatted for HP7520 printer.  Machine is running OSX 10.8.5.

HP Recommended

Hi RGartland,

I understand that you are trying to create a custom paper size. I will try my best to help you with this. In this document for Mac OS X: Printing to custom or special paper it explains how to create a custom paper size and name it.

Let me know if this helped or if you need further assistance.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Issue isn't creating custom size but custom size to print borderless. I created 7x10 without issue and though I set margins to zero, I still get appts 1/8" border.
HP Recommended

Hi RGartland,

I am sorry that information did not help you with your issue. I have been researching the borderless printing and have discovered that it is only available on the standard size pages and is not available for custom size pages.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended
Not the answer I had hoped for, but I appreciate the help!
HP Recommended

The information that I have indicates that custom borderless media sizes are supported on your printer. You have the PhotoSmart 7520 --- yes?

I need to investigate some more but in the meantime, did you try selecting both the ‘Scale to fit paper size’ checkbox in the Paper Handling menu and the ‘Print borderless’ checkbox in the Paper Type/Quality menu? I can't guarantee that will solve the problem but still curious if you already tried that.

I work for HP.

-- If this helped, say "Thanks" by clicking Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
HP Recommended

h20_Rob,

Yes, a new PhotoSmart 7520.  I'm working from a Mac running OS X 10.8.5.  I think the dialog you mention is Windows specific.  AT least, I don't have a "print borderless" check box.  When I set up the paper, I did have non-printing areas set to zero for top, left, right and bottom.

Appreciate your checking into this!

R

HP Recommended

Hello!

The dialog I mentioned isn't Windows specific. Check out this screenshot. I am using a different printer than you but the driver options are pretty much the same. You have to select the 'Paper Type/Quality' selection in the middle of the dialog.

PrintDialog.jpg

Hopefully you have that in your print dialog. If not, you may have the Apple AirPrint driver installed rather than the HP print driver.

If you have that print borderless selection then try what I suggested before if you could.

The other option that might work is to create a custom size that is 7x5 with margins = 0. Select this size and Portrait orientation in the Page Setup or Print dialog and check the Print Borderless checkbox. Place your 7x10 into the printer with the short edge first. I'm just guessing here that you are trying to print an image on half of your card.

I work for HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.