Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So is the only way to fix this is to have a new printer shipped?

HP Recommended

I replaced an empty black cartridge and then the black would not print at all.

Did all the standard cleaning steps and nothing helped.

Swapped the first cartridge for another and still the same.

Did all the steps with the moist paper towels that you can find here and on YouTube with no improvement.

Took the printer apart and removed the printer head, as per the Youtube videos.   Did the printer head soak and clean in warm water (shallow water to keep the circuit board dry).  Had to change the water a number of times.   Lots of black ink clumps washed out.   Eventally it seemed fairly clean of ink clumps.   Shook the printing head as dry as possible.

Reassembled and after a couple of cleaning cycles it is printing as new.   Extreme steps but the only way to get rid of the major build up of dry, sticky ink.

All you need is the proper torx screwdriver,  needlenose pliers for the two springs, patience and care, and a good washing sink.

Turned out much better than I was expecting... good luck

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.  My printer won't print in black ink.   I have had it for just over a year now.  The ink cartridge is new and it is a genuine HP cartridge.  It's the same model I've used since I got hte comptuer.  Don't give me a link to the troubleshooting.  I have tried each step that they mention and it doesn't work.  I've already wasted ink from my new cartridge.  If I don't hear from a moderator and get this problem solved, I will take my business to another company.  I have read that this is a VERY common problem and I am appalled that it continues to be unaddressed by HP.

I am based in the United States.

HP Recommended

That is great news. I will contact HP and send my 5520 to them also. Had this same issue; did all the diagnostics and solutions, with no black printing. If it helps, the black was printing fainter for about 3 sheets and then completely blank.

I heard no noises, no errors.

HP Recommended

mine worked for half a page and i replaced the black ink cartridge. Now nothing works.  did everythiing thats been posted for except for tearing apart the head. Whats the next best cheap wifi that is 3 in 1 things for it to do?

HP Recommended

I called HP Customer Support phone number;
Went through all the troubleshooting steps, then determined with help of the support representative that I would need a replacement printer. The print head had failed. I opted for a new model printer device (HP Deskjet 3630 All in one). Same or better specs and functions. It has wireless and mobile device connectivity options.
The new unit arrived just yesterday and I am very pleased with it.
I also got the 3 year HP Support Assistant deal. All included, the total cost was less than what it would have been from a third party.

Brandon

CSO Number:
BHRB5558-01
CSO Placement Date:
03-30-2016

Reason for Service:
INK CARTRIDGE/TONER LEAKAGE CAUSING HARD

Model Number:
CONDJ
Model Description:
HPCERT DJ ALT GENERIC
Serial Number:
CN32J130P1

HP is providing the following service for your product.
HP SHIPMENT GROUND DELIVERY: NEW REPLACEMENT UNIT

Warranty Status: OUT OF WARRANTY
Payment Method: VISA
HP Repair Center: 230 WEAKLEY ROAD
 CALEXICO, CA 92231

Replacement Model:
F5S57A

Replacement Description:
HP DESKJET 3630 ALL-IN-ONE PRINTER I-INK

Replacement Serial Number:: CN5A61N0HT

HP Recommended

not heard back from HP  so i am out getting a new one. found a cannon

HP Recommended

I am now having the same issues, I have just tried everything and sure enough black won't work, just bought brand new Hp ink and still black won't show up. This is very frustrating!!  I hope I can get Hp to solve this issue!

HP Recommended

Hi @xman84,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I see that you're unable to print in black on your HP Photosmart 5520 Printer. I would be happy to look into this with you and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos. 

Please try the steps within this guide:

If the printer is out of warranty, you could always try a manual printhead cleaning as shown in the video below. Please use at your own discretion.

NOTE: HP Photosmart 5510 does not have a customer removable printhead like your 5520, however, the video below shows how to remove it. The steps are similar to the 5520.

Video: HP 5510 won't print black and colors - printhead removal and cleaning.

If you completed all the preceding steps and your product still has an issue, service the product.

Contacting HP for service in all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
First, go to Check your product warranty to check your printer warranty status, and then go to Contact HP Support to find an authorized service dealer or to schedule a repair.
Check Warranty Status: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/wc/public/home 
Repair fees might apply for out-of-warranty printers.
What you can do, is use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process: 
Step 1. Open link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options" 
Step 4. Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number 
Case number and phone number appear. 

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Duh!! That link was completely useless! As if I didn't know how to load a cartridge and couldn't read my screen on my printer in order to do that $#!+
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.