Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My lJ400 MFP475 detects a problem with the scanner unit after chewing on it for several minutes and never finishes intitialization. Initially you can hear the scanner head move softly, but after less than a minute it starts rattling at the end of every move.

After a few minutes I get the message "Scanner error 6, Turn off then turn on".

I did that, again and again. Also with cables removed, waiting for some time etc.

In the Event log I can see the following:

Entry # Code Page Description

10 54.2100 1035 BD error

9 54.2100 1023 BD error

8 54.2100 1016 BD error

7 54.2100 1015 BD error

6 54.2100 1014 BD error

5 54.2100 1011 BD error

4 54.2100 887 BD error

3 41.3000 260 Unexpected Paper Size

2 54.2100 43 BD error

1 54.2100 39 BD error

I have used this MFP sparingly and am only halfway the first set of color toner cartridges, so I'm a bit disappointed about how quickly this printer gives up. My previous printer was an Apple Laserwriter Select 360 that lasted for 20 years (no, I'm not kidding, bought it in 1993).

Any clue?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Rattling of any kind is never a welcome noise.  Something is broken in your scanner assembly and will need to be replaced.  The good news is that your printer is fairly new and may still be covered by warranty.  Give HP a shout and report the problem to you.  They will let you know about your replacement options to get you up and working again.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

The noise I'm getting is from the spring loaded gear on scanning cable as the scanner tries to go to the left. It creates a racheting sound. Almost seems like the its trying to find the scan start. Some bigger MFP's have a home sensor.

HP Recommended

I've seen that problem on larger Ricoh MFPs.  Often it's the belt that drives a pulley for the scanner carriage.  If you see a timing belt in the scanner area, I'd look for a spring or screw that you can use to increase tension.   A loose belt can slip very slightly causing that noise and that problem.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Get printer configuration page & page count instructions at https://configpages.blogspot.com
HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my 2840 and will spare you everything I have done trying to fix it and get to how I am dealing with it now which MIGHT work for some others:

My workaround:  During start up right before the error message you will hear the scanner searching to find a calibrtion mark. It is sort of a zing - zinf - zing- zing sound as the scanner moves back and forth to no avail.

Take your fist and forcefully bang on the scanner jarring it in the left and right direction (the scanning direction) while it is making that noise and it MIGHT find the calibration mark.

In my case this has worked every time since I discovered this but it probably depends on how far out of calibration the mark is.

Don't jar it too hard but if it doesn't work try a little more jarring.  Good luck!

Comment: I do think it absurd for a programmer to decide a slight calibration error which only impacts flat bed scanning (not sheet fed scanning or faxing) should disable ALL scanning entirely. Plus I can't imagine any user who wouldn't prefer slightly misaligned scans to NONE at all!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.