Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Happy to be able to help.
Thanks for the feedback.
Although it was a nightmare, it's always nice to learn something new and to achieve a success.
Congratulations.
HP Recommended

Hi

I'm trying to scan documents from HP photosmart printer using HP image software but cannot get printer to recognize programme. I am connected by USB to laptop

HP Recommended
Possibly, your HP software (driver package) did not install properly (or completely). It's hard to know, except that the HP programs Won't Work!
I posted a link to an HP webpage that walks you through a complete removal (scrubbing) of all the HP software remnants.
Apparently alot of people are having this problem. (For me, the HP server died in the middle of the download. I didn't notice, and ran the installation. A nightmare followed! 'Uninstall' is Not Sufficient; it leaves contaminated files behind in a %Temp% folder that will ruin the install forever, unless they are erased!
Find the link to HP's instructions: read them, and follow them.
After 'scrubbing', get a clean driver download package and install it.
Look at my previous postings to find the link.
Good luck.
Henry
HP Recommended

Hi

I was able to get scan function working once I installed the 'all in one' software. I did not need to clear any existing files

Thanks

BS

HP Recommended

I want to add what is likely to be my 'Final Comment' on the subject of running HP Solution Center on Windows 7 for my Officejet  6310xi All-in-One printer.

After two weeks of success with HP Solution Center, the error message "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete" recurred.

I know of no change to my system that caused my installation to change from "complete" to "not complete".

I called HP Support, yet again.

The lack of support for this problem has been AMAZINGLY consistent.

First, after waiting 48 minutes before being connected to 'HP Friend Help' (a $60 help service that doesn't even answer their line) I waited another 30 mins and never got to speak with the Help Friend!

The initial service person then offered me a newer printer at a discounted price; eventually, I accepted this, as I had scanning work to do, and I did not want this rolling catastrophe to go on forever.

The helper transferred me to his supervisor who was the person who could, "seal the deal" and get a newer printer overnighted to me.

I then had 30 minutes additional hold-time to think about what I was about to do; namely, spend more money with a company that simply did not provide a reliable product, and did not provide any support (even for the price of a new printer) when I was in trouble. I rejected this deal by hanging the phone up and leaving to walk the dog!

The supervisor did call me back after 15 more minutes, but I really didn't want to have HP 'in my corner', anymore.

When  got home, I 'scrubbed the software' and re-installed it successfully  (the HP Solution Center is now working, again).

The scrubbing and re-installation took almost 4 hours!

I then did the scan work and went to bed after midnight, about 9 hours after I first tried to scan the 3 pages using HP Solution Center.

The store where I originally bought the 6310xi agreed to take it back and give me credit worth about the price of a comparable (new) Canon All-in-One printer.

I will exercise this option the next time HP Solution Center fails to open:

if it doesn't fail, I will have no new posting;

if it does fail, I will also have no new posting.

In principle, this catastrophe is at an end, for me!

Henry

HP Recommended

My PC keeps coming up "Can't find solution center" All I want to do is download it, but your solutions give me no help.

HP Recommended

HP solution centr softwaree will not work need to reload .

HP Recommended

@mrtthemam wrote:

HP solution centr softwaree will not work need to reload .

Please read this entire thread, the question has been asked and answered a couple dozen times in this thread.  What printer do you have?  What operating system? Go to the top of this page and click on the "Support and Drivers" link.  Enter your printer model, then selct the specific model, then select the operating system.  Look for the driver downloads for a full featured driver.

If your combination of printer model and operating system has support for HP Solution Center you will see it there.

Support.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

@Generudey wrote:

My PC keeps coming up "Can't find solution center" All I want to do is download it, but your solutions give me no help.

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system

Look at the top of this page, click on the "Support and Drivers" link.  Next enter your printer model, then select the operating system.  Download the appropriate driver and then run the install file.  Do not connect the printer until instructed to by the installer.

Support.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Dean Hedrick,
Respectfully, I believe there is something else going on here that is at the root of all this trouble surrounding what ought to be a trivial matter.
At least in my case, I found that the HP drivers will not install over pre-existing HP software that remains invisible to the user.
I was not able to successfully install the downloaded driver package without 'scrubbing' a file called %TEMP%.
I posted a link to the HP page that walked me through this process.
One thing further, when I removed some of the HP software from my auto-start file in msconfig, the HP Solution Center stopped working. I had to scrub, again, and reinstall.
I suspect that 'lack of scrubbing' may be involved in at least some of the difficulties being encountered.
Henry
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.