Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
When I go to finish setting up the basic driver for my Deskjet 2544, it asks for my postal code and how I'm using it. Why does it need this information, it's just driver software? Is the software sending this info back to HP? Is the printer settings different for each location and use? If so, why? If not, then why do you need that info at all? Why can I not opt out of giving this info? Is HP monitoring my printer usuage? What happens if someone enters the wrong location or use?
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Consumer007,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums with your inquiry.

I understand that you have questions regarding why you are prompted to enter your Postal Code/ZIP Code, and how you are using the printer during the installation of your HP Deskjet 2544 All-in-One Printer. I would like to help.

HP requests that information during the installation for their own marketing purposes. Mainly just to see what kind of printers are being used, and the environment they are being used in across the demographic. 

Once you enter the Postal Code/Zip Code and select the usage type that information is set and HP might use that information for their future marketing strategies, but in no way do they monitor how you are actually using the printer over the course of you owning the printer.

I do not think it would make much of a difference you where to accidentally enter an Postal Code/Zip Code from another city in your region, but I think it might notice if the Postal Code/Zip Code that did not actually exist.

I can understand how requesting that information might feel a little intrusive, but it is really just so HP can make sure that they are supplying the products to the right areas.

I hope my explanation is acceptable. Please feel free to reach out to the HP Support Forums if you ever need assistance.

If this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.