Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Neil61 wrote:

I never turn my printer off so I'm afraid that's not the answer.  Even if I did turn it off when not in use surely that wouldn't be a satisfactory explanation for a cartridge showing as nearly empty three days after being installed when it's hardly been used.

I'm sorry this hasn't helped you. I guess the topic is not exhausted after all. But I've not had the sense of being cheated out ink from HP, for what it's woth.

HP Recommended

Hi Neil, do you know what the estimated ink levels are? Have you tried resetting the printer?

BTW, have you tried using a Fastdraft print setting and XL size cartridges?

Ink usage in inkjet printers

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I reported the problem to HP and they diagnosed the problem as a faulty print head.  As the printer was still under warranty they sent me a new one and I've just installed it.  The problem appears to have been resolved but only time wil tell!  I must say the response from HP was excellent and the new print head arrived within three days along with a new set of cartridges and clear instructions for installation.

HP Recommended

I had ZERO luck with customer service. Useless.

I have had my printer for almost a year now and it is once again telling me the photo ink is low. I think this is the third photo cartridge in a year and I rarely print photos. I used up the first one printing 25 christmas cards and I have bought 2 since then, despite really ever printing photos since I used up the first one at Christmas. I bought it in October and  I was surprised the first one died while doing the Christmas cards because besides them I had printed less than 10 photos. I bought the all in one for the scan and print mainly. Photo prints were not a priority because with digital we don't print many. I put in yet another new photo cartridge this summer and within a short time it keeps telling me it is low, I might have printed 2-3 photos from it. Is it using the photo ink on documents? If so, it's using it with the regualr black because that disappears too.

It also seems to eat black ink at a much higher rate than it should despite choosing draft settings on most documents. It even runs out of colored ink even though we print mainly black and white. The most recent LX cartridge is almost out and it was replaced AFTER the school year ended, so not loads of printing going on. I think my print head might be defective as well. We don't turn the printer on and off, so it's not using it up for that function.

I called customer service today when I read that it could be a print head issue.  My warranty runs out in 32 days. He told me I can go BUY another photo cartridge and call them back before my warranty runs out if it gets low. Seriously? No extension of warranty time for this REPORTED problem? No free photo cartridge or even a COUPON?  I am really unhappy with the expense of ink for this printer. This is my 3rd HP printer. I've had photosmart printers for years years and never had this issue with ink.

I am extremely dis-satisfied with the support I received (or didn't) and this will be the last HP printer I buy. I have read much better reviews of ink usage on other brands. At first I was willing to buy the ink, but every time I turn around we need it again. The outsourced customer service was no help because I don't even know if he could understand me clearly.

Neil61, how did you get them to diagnose and send you a print head?

HP Recommended

cinders374 - sorry for the delay in replying.  I went to this webpage  http://bit.ly/16tH3FP and e-mailed them from there.  I just explained the problem and after a couple of e-mails they sent me the new printhead.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended
Hello,

I read your solution below, for a possible reason why the photo ink level may be decreasing without being used. I checked my settings to make sure that my printer is not set to turn Off after a period of time, and it's not, it's always On.

I've had my printer for about 3 months and have NOT printed any photos  yet. I can see the other levels decreasing, especially the regular Black - but why would the Photo Black level go down when it's never been used?

Thanks in advance,
Nancy

Hi,

Did you know ON/OFF very often will consume inks. Or put this way, the less you print the more the printer use inks interms of page yields per cartridge. That may be the case with your printer.

NJ
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 6100 and have the same problem!  all the color cartridge lights are blinking, saying they are empty, and I recently replaced them and very seldom use color ink!!!  I've tried changing the settings to only use the black ink, but it won't print at all unless i replace all the cartridges again!!!!  Very unhappy with the cost of using this printer.  I'll bet all the HP printers do this.

HP Recommended
I know that my Photosmart 7520 just drinks down the ink without many pages being printed. I'll check into the print head idea. I've been furious with HP ever since I got it.
HP Recommended

Trust me, leaving the printer on makes no difference at all.  I have a new HP printer and I almost always print only black shipping labels and after a short time, all my color cartridges are showing as empty!!  I never turn my printer off.  The only solution I was given by HP is that even when you print black, it uses color ink.  HUH????  I don't see any color!!!  What a rip off.  My old HP printer didn't do this, but all newer models do.  I will never buy an HP again!!

HP Recommended

Exactly the same problem with an 18 month old C310 - I replaced two cartrdiges last night and printed two pages. Got up this morning and its telling me that the same two cartridges are almost empty!! Appalling ........

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.