Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

new printer -  black ink cartridge needs to be replaced.   ink carriage won't move to middle when

top is liffted.   cannot move manually either.   suggestions?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Are you getting any error messages about a a carriage jam?
I would do a hard reset to the machine to attempt to restore the printer to a known working condition. No user settings are lost  with a hard reset (such a wireless settings) To do a hard reset, follow the below instructions. 
1. With the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet, and turned on, unplug the cord from the rear of the printer.
2. Then unplug the cord from the wall socket.
3. Wait at least 30-60 seconds
4. Plug the power cord back into the wall socket first. If the cord has a module in it, make sure that the light on the module is lit up and then plug cord back into the rear of the printer
5. The printer should power back on by itself, but if not use the power button on front panel to turn machine back on. 

I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Did you solve the problem? I am having the same issue.

HP Recommended

@ drazla- Do you have the same printer as the original author? I would look at this document here. I know that you are not getting the carriage jam error message on the printer. But you would take the same troubleshooting steps that are listed in this document to address your stalled carriage issue.  I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Easy!!!  Grab your cartridge(s) and have a long screwdriver handy.  With the top closed print a page, then while its printing and when you hear the print heads moving hurry and open the top and stick a screwdriver in-between the right side of the cartridges and where the cartridges nests to the right when not printing.  

This will cause a cartridge jam error and stop the cartridges.  Now remove the screwdriver and replace the cartridge.  Close the top and it should say some garbage about the cartridge not working or malfunctioning.  Just shut it off and turn it back on after 60 seconds and it should be fine.  You might want to realign the cartridges after.

I’ve done this same jamming process three times now (even had to do it the first time I fired it up) and have had good results and the printer is still working just fine.  Good luck!

HP Recommended
Hpfixerupper23 - you are a genius man...I tried everything else with no success...Your trick works perfectly. I would suggest using the handle of a wooden spoon instead of a metal screw driver.... Thanks buddy...
HP Recommended

Hi!  Thank you for your posting. We are glad to see taht your issue has been resolved by this thread 

However, I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

Please post in a new thread for better exposure. It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.