Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

Had created a new thread and just found this one on the same topic. Thanks to the person that found the solution re Softi Scan. Just downloaded and installed it - very easy - and scanned 6 pages at 150 resolution. File size is 244kb, compared to 6mb using the HP software. HP - you needs to address this and provide an update asap.

HP Recommended

if you are using HP Ssolution Center version 10, download a version 12 software from photosmart c6380. use the advanced installation to select a Custom settings. Check the box for Imaging device function and HP Solution Center then uncheck the rest. select USB connection type. at the lower left bottom corner you will see a box that says "if you cant connect the device....connect the device later...", check that box.

mod edit: Also, here is a link to Nickyton81's other post with installation instructions:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/psg/board/message?board.id=Scan&message.id=2307#M2307

Message Edited by WendyM on 04-27-2009 12:12 PM
HP Recommended

Hi Nickyton81,it's not real clear how doing this will help overcome the problem of "too large files" when doing scanning with the C7280. Can you describe the outcome please?

Also with the C7280, one has the option of scanning wirelessly through network. I wonder if your solution, assuming it indeed helps for C7280, still allows this means of connecting.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

The document scanning problem is just like Joeley states. I experience the same with 20 pages creating 15MB+ file size, this is unacceptable.

Selecting non searchable pdf and a 75 dpi does not put the HP 7280 into the right mode to process it this way. It always falls back to the defaulted 300 dpi OCR mode.

Open question to everybody incl. HP: Why are there so many "options" for different DPI settings if this cannot be processed correctly. Then just put a note there: "Standard dpi 300, cannot be changed".

A great product support would be to fix the software and add a button/selection to "deselect" the OCR default setting.

EDIT:

As a work around I installed PrimoPDF, it is a freeware: http://www.primopdf.com/

When printing a much too large HP file with the PrimoPDF screen setting (72dpi) you get acceptable results.

It's only a pity that I cannot make the function "Scan to: Printer" work to send it to PrimoPDF, it defaults back to the HP 7280.

Therefor I need to work via save, then open and print with PrimoPDF. Hope this is of use for one or another.

Regards,
Bjoern

Message Edited by bjoernhp on 03-22-2009 10:34 AM
HP Recommended

Thanks for the replys.  It is a software issue.  For example,  the HP2840 (I own two of them)  scans the exact same file (14 pages text only) 8.5 x 11 in black and white and does the entire pdf (non-searchable) in 1meg.   Routinely!!!   And,  again, using a 600 dpi resolution!   I'm not a programer,  I just use the machines,  but there's got to be a fix for this,  the printer is worthelss as an "all in one" if it is funcitonally incompatible with its stated purpose.   Thx, Curtis

HP Recommended

Thanks for suggesting the solution using PrimoPDF, but I should point out that it probably involves a two-step process: first scanning using HP software then outputing the large PDF through PrimoPDF to a smaller size file. Perhaps you can confirm, Bjoern?

A software fix seems to be beyond HP, Curtis - their technical support outlets (phone, chat) seem totally brain dead to the issue. Hard to believe, isn't it? I'm about to start writing reviews at consumer retail sites and suggest others do the same. I mean, c'mon HP!!!

Message Edited by Joeley on 03-22-2009 01:45 PM
HP Recommended

Correct Joeley,

It works only under the "Screen" setting. The text is a bit blurred but readability is acceptable.
The other settings"Print, eBook, Prepress" increase the size. "Custom" might work as well, but I haven't played around with this yet.

Here you see screenshots  (--> 2.) http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/PrimoPDF-Screenshot-15306.html

Take care!

HP Recommended

Well, folks the continuing saga of the C7280 continues. I have been able to solve the problem of large file size using a software program called SoftiScan to PDF. Works great at producing small file size documents. Example - I just scanned a 14 page letter size contract at 1.1 mb, and quality is very good. Program is $20 and they also have a free trial. However, and I do mean HOWEVER,  the problem that I now have is that during a multi-page scan it will randomly crop pages. So you have to rescan, and sometimes rescan several times in order to get a readable document. I've communicated with SoftiScan support, and they tell me that some HP products do this and they have no answer.

I've come to the conclusion that the C7280 is a good printer (although it sucks up ink), a good fax machine, but a totally unreliable scanner. Unfortunately, the main reason I bought it was for it's scanning capablilty. HP either is unwilling to solve the problem or doesn't know how, and I just can't believe that a company of HP's technical stature doesn't know how! Anyway, I give up on the C7280 as a scanner. I'm going to see if I can get a refund. I know, I know...Lot's of Luck. :HalfEyes:

OldA'sFan

HP Recommended

SoftiScan has been suggested in the thread already, I've tried the trial myself, but no one has reported the problem you're seeing yet. Anyone else have this experience?

I just hate the idea of shelling out money for something that HP should have provided already out of the box.

Message Edited by Joeley on 03-23-2009 03:50 PM
HP Recommended

I've had the issue with cropping as well. It only happens when I'm trying to scan something as black&white that doesn't have a fully white background. This is an issue with the HP scanner, not SoftiScan. I get the same cropping if I scan directly through the HP software.

My previous HP scanner was able to fly through those same off-white documents without a problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.