Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
photosmart 6520, 7520, c310

hello all

for some reasons all my hp wireless printers report wrong hostnames back to the router. it's always HP plus mac-address.

i am able to access all printers thru their ip-address/web interface. changing hostname is easy as well. it just does not work. all printers have a new hostname set but it is not reported back to the router (netgear wndr4500). these are the only wireless devices with wrong hostnames. laptops, phones, tablets are working perfect (running win/android/ios).

all printers have the latest software release installed.

any ideas ?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

HI @sschaer,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! 

I see that you're experiencing wireless issues with the HP "photosmart 6520, 7520, c310" Printers. I would be happy to help and please remember to return to this thread and mark 'Accept as Solution', if I have successfully helped you resolve the issue. If you wish to say 'thanks' for my effort to help, click the 'thumbs up' to give me a Kudos. 

I understand the frustration regarding this issue. It sounds like there was a change made to the router configuration or the router's firmware could have been updated, which can booted all of the printers off the network.

If the printers have the name for example: "HP plus mac-address". This would indicate that the printers are not connected to your network, they are in the Wireless Direct mode.

Wireless Direct provides wireless connectivity without a router (network). This is how you're able to access the EWS in the Wireless Direct mode.

The way you're trying to change the hostname (SSID) will not work. While you're in the EWS you will need to run the Wireless Setup Wizard to reconfigure the printers on the wireless network.

• Did you replace or make any changes to the router?
  • Do you have a dual band router? Ensure both bands do not have the same network name.
  • The 2.4 GHz and the 5.0 GHz network names should have their own unique SSID.

Once you successfully reconfigure each of the printers on the wireless network. It is a good idea to assign the printer a static IP address, outside your DHCP range. For example, some routers DHCP default range is 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. So, I would use 192.168.0.232. 

To assign the static IP address, use these steps as a guideline.

• Print a Network Configuration Page from the printer's front panel menu. Note the printer's IPV4 IP address.
  • Type the IP address into your internet browser to bring up the EWS.
  • Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless on the left side, then select the IPv4 tab.
  • Select Manual IP. 
  • Enter your manual IP address of (192.168.0.232)
  • Enter  255.255.255.0 for the subnet mask, unless it is different.
  • Enter your router's IP address which can be found on the Network Configuration Page) for the default gateway.
  • Please click Manual DNS Server. For the Manual Preferred DNS Server please enter 8.8.8.8 and for the Manual Alternate DNS Server please enter 8.8.4.4.
  • Click Apply.
  • Reboot the router, printer and computer.
  • Test printing and scanning.

If you need further assistance, please let me know the following information above.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

all printers have wireless direct mode turned off.

all printers have fixed ip adresses, dns set and such.

all printers work perfect. printing and scanning without issues.

router has different names for 2.4 and 5ghz networks.

router has wps disabled.

my main laptop and pc are connected thru gigabit ethernet cable, wireless turned off. so direct wireless connection is not possible.

for test purposes i hooked up a printer of a different brand. shows the correct hostname. can be changed to whatever value.

changing hostname works on the 3 hp printers but they do not show up correctly on the router. interestingly ping -a <printer ip> shows the correct hostname.

so it must be something with hp printers on netgear routers.

HP Recommended

Hi @sschaer,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

I'm not entirely certain why you're trying to change the hostname for the printers in the router. This is something that is considered out of scope within HP Support. If you wish to get help with the router settings and other configuration settings, you will need to contact Netgear.

If the printers show the correct hostname, but the router doesn't. It is unlikely to be an issue with the printers, seeing as you have three printers doing the same thing.

The only suggestion I have is to:

• Restore the network defaults on each of the printers.
  • Make sure the router's firmware is up to date.
  • Restore the Netgear to factory defaults.
  • Reconfigure the network.
  • Run the Wireless Setup Wizard again.
  • Once the printers are connected, test functionality.

Otherwise, please contact Netgear: Contact NETGEAR Support.

Please respond to this post with the results. Good Luck! 🙂

Drakster
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.