Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
All in One C309a Printer
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

My All-In-One C309 printer will print PDFs but not word documents.  I have installed all new HP printer cartridges.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Red-Maple

Appreciate your efforts!

When you say, 6 distinct color, what are those colors? Is black one among them?

If there is no black, then the issue could be with the black printing. Try making a copy of a color document and check this theory. 

Also, if the black is not printing, try using a different black cartridge or try cleaning the print head manually.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello, @Red-Maple – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for engaging in HP Support Forums! I would like to help you with the printer issue!

I understand you are experiencing issues while printing the Word documents. Since the printer works fine while printing the PDF documents, I guess the issue is with the print settings or with the Word app.

I would first recommend you to reset the printing systems. Here are the steps:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “Airprint” would be selected)
  • Now try printing the Word documents.

Let me know if that helps!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I reset my printer but still it will not print a word document.  I can print an email and PDfs but not Word.  When I attempt to align my printheads, no printed page is produced,  When I run a test the colored squares they come out fine.

HP Recommended

Hello, @Red-Maple

Thanks for the update & appreciate your efforts 🙂

Going through your reply, the issue is definitely not with the printer settings or hardware but with the Word application. That is the reason that all other prints are good but the MS Word.

I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall the MS Word application to fix this issue. You can follow the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2m8qJxR 

Also, Please check http://hp.care/2m8rpDi for some general troubleshooting for Word printing issues.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay as I had to locate the disc for iWorks.  I first removed iWorks and then reloaded back into my Mac.  I then attempted to print a Pages and Word document.  They both came out blank.  The printer sounds as though it is printing each word and line, however, the result is a blank page.  I had this problem some months back but it seemed to correct itself until most recently.

HP Recommended

Hello, @Red-Maple

Thanks for the update!

To clarify, the issue is still with the Word documents. Is that correct? Does the printer making good copies if you make a photocopy using the scanner bed?

If the answer is yes, then try the steps mentioned below to repair the dsk permissions which could be the cause of the error:

1. Open Disk Utility, which is in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder.
  2. Select the startup disk from the list of volumes.
  3. Click the First Aid tab.
  4. To repair permissions, click Repair Disk Permissions.

Once done, try printing. If the issue persists, try resetting the printing systems as suggested in my first post and then try printing.

That should do the trick. Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The copy function also prints a blank page.  Do you still feel by repairing the dsk permissions could be the cause?

HP Recommended

Hello, @Red-Maple

Thanks for the reply!

No, don't perform a disk permission if the copy gives you blank pages. It tells you that the issue is with the printer hardware and not with the MAC.

I would suggest cleaning the print head to try and fix this issue:

1. From the home screen on the printer control panel, press the Setup button .

2. Press the down arrow  to select Tools, and then press OK.

3. Press the down arrow  to select Clean Printhead, and then press OK.

The printer cleans the printheads and then prints a test page.

4. Review the print quality on the test page.

5. If the print quality on the test page is satisfactory, touch No to return to the home screen.

6. If the print quality on the test page is unsatisfactory, touch Yes to perform a secondary cleaning of the printhead.

If the issue persists, then check http://hp.care/2gFISg7 

Perform a Step 7 & 8 to clean the print head manually.

Let me know if that helps!

Have a great day 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

When i clean the printheads it only prints out six rectagles with each distinct color.  The screen does not ask me if the print quality on the test page is satisfactory or unsatisfactory so it doesn't go to a second cleaning.  I have done this procedure twice.  I then attempted to make a black & white copy from the flatbed and still get a blank page.  Do you now suggest a manual cleaning f the printheads?

HP Recommended

I attempted to clean the printheads from the HP utility and it now states that there are no print cartridges.  Should I attempt to align the printheads from the printers screen or just go to the manual cleaning of the printheads?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.