Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8135e All-in-One Printer

I am trouble shooting and The Fax Hardware Interface Test Passes but the Active Telephone Line Detection Fails. My telephone line is working fine and I have connected the cable the same way my previous HP was connected. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @ed19809 ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand you are facing an issue with the Fax not working for HP OfficeJet Pro 8135e. Not to worry I will help you to get a resolution to resolve the issue.

If the Fax Hardware Interface Test passes but the Active Telephone Line Detection fails, there could be a few potential issues causing this problem. 

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue:

• Check Phone Line Connection: Even though you've connected the cable the same way your previous HP printer was connected, it's worth double-checking the connection. Ensure that the phone line is securely connected to the correct port on the printer.
  • Verify Phone Line Functionality: While you mentioned that your telephone line is working fine, it's still worth verifying that there are no issues with the line. You can do this by plugging a telephone handset into the same phone jack that the printer is using and checking for a dial tone.
  • Test Alternate Phone Line: If possible, try connecting the printer to a different phone line or using a different phone cable to rule out any issues with the current line or cable.
  • Check Phone Line Settings: Make sure that any necessary settings for faxing over your phone line are configured correctly on the printer. This might include settings related to dialing prefixes, international dialing, or other preferences specific to your fax setup.
  • Update Printer Firmware: Ensure that your printer has the latest firmware installed. Sometimes, firmware updates can resolve compatibility issues or bugs that may affect fax functionality.  Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Reset Printer: Try resetting the printer to its factory default settings. This can sometimes resolve software-related issues that may be causing the fax detection problem.

Refer to this document: HP OfficeJet Pro 8135e All-in-One Printer

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.