Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8600
Microsoft Windows XP

Our HP 8600 scanner has suddenly started producing faded b/w images. Will not recognize color.

The printer function is ok.

This machine has been doing fine for more than a year till now

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @DougBaileyxxx,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you are not able to scan in color with your HP Officejet 8600. It scans in faded black and white images. 

I would like you to first perform a Hard Reset:

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer. Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.

2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.

3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.

4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet (not a surge protector or battery backup as they can cause the printer to lose basic functionality over time).

5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.

6. The printer should automatically power back up. If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.

7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-on printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.

8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

You can also try another wall outlet and see if this helps. 

Now continue here:  Poor Scan Quality

Did this helps, if you are still seeing the issue please call our technical support at http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.  http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Let me know the outcome, I will watch for your reply.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos".
HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @DougBaileyxxx,

Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums! 🙂 I understand you are not able to scan in color with your HP Officejet 8600. It scans in faded black and white images. 

I would like you to first perform a Hard Reset:

1. Unplug all cables and memory cards from the printer. Unplug the power cord, directly from the back of the printer while the printer is still turned on.

2. Unplug the other end of the cord from the power source.

3. If there is a power module on the power cord, disconnect one end and reconnect it.

4. After 60 seconds, plug the cord directly into a wall outlet (not a surge protector or battery backup as they can cause the printer to lose basic functionality over time).

5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.

6. The printer should automatically power back up. If it doesn't, turn it on with the power button.

7. Try making a photocopy (if your printer is an all-in-on printer) before connecting any other cables to the printer.

8. Connect any other needed cables to the printer.

You can also try another wall outlet and see if this helps. 

Now continue here:  Poor Scan Quality

Did this helps, if you are still seeing the issue please call our technical support at http://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.  http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Let me know the outcome, I will watch for your reply.

Thanks for being a part of the HP community. Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution". If you require further assistance let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help. If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos".
HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

HP:

Many thanks. That did it. We're impressed with your system

Doug

HP Recommended

So glad that I found this post.

I had the exact same problem as Doug Bailey, and the "Hard Reset" protocol completely fixed it.

I would never have suspected that would be the fix.  I thought something was wrong with the scanner lamp.

Thanks so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.