Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

All of a sudden, our office's HP 8710 all in one thinks we're trying to print on envelopes and won't print faxes properly or not at all. We probably have never used this printer to print on envelopes. I reset it and ran a fax test report. Everything looks fine but paper size is unknown. How do I make the paper size known? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Marinresident ,

Welcome to The HP Support Community.  

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

I understand your HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 is misidentifying the paper size and treating incoming faxes as envelopes, 

Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:

• Check Paper Settings: Make sure the paper settings on the printer match the actual paper loaded in the tray. If the printer is set to use envelopes, it may be misinterpreting incoming faxes. Verify that the paper size and type settings are correct for the paper you are using.
  • Reset Printer Preferences: Resetting the printer preferences to default settings might help resolve any software-related issues causing the printer to misidentify the paper size. You can usually find this option in the printer's menu or settings.
  • Update Firmware: Ensure that your printer's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, firmware updates include fixes for issues like this. You can usually update the firmware through the printer's menu or by visiting the HP support website. Update the firmware on an HP printer
  • Check Fax Settings: Ensure that the fax settings are configured correctly. Check if there are any settings related to paper size or type that may be causing the issue.
  • Power Cycle: Try powering off the printer, unplugging it from the power source, waiting for a few minutes, then plugging it back in and powering it on again. Sometimes, a simple power cycle can resolve various issues.
  • Factory Reset: As a last resort, you can perform a factory reset on the printer. This will revert all settings back to their default state. Keep in mind that this will also erase any custom settings you've configured on the printer.

Refer to this document:   HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer series

I hope this helps. 

Take care and have a good day.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Take care and have a good day.
Gaya1239 – HP Support.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.