Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8720
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is ONLY a scan problem.  I've searched on here for all known solutions, and none of them work.  This happens when scanning straight from the glass or from the ADF, so it's not just a "clean the roller" problem.  Seems like this issue happens across many HP scanning products, so it sounds like it's a hardware or software feature that hasn't been resolved yet.  Does anyone have a solution?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@LennyTalerico 

Disclaimer

This solution may not work for you.

Back Story

A while ago...

I had a really nice Officejet Pro 8740 as a loaner from HP.  After several months of nearly perfect performance, the (just the) ADF started spitting out skewed scan results.

• I cleaned the printer, the ADF rollers, I cleaned everything. I cleaned the edges, the rollers, the glass bits.  All of it.
  • I took apart the printer (what little is accessible) and I inspected it for bits of paper, tape, stickers, "anything".
  • I checked the ink system, the ink settings (quick go-through).
  • I changed the paper (tried different sized and different contents / documents to scan).
  • I changed the Scan Destination (no reason for this, running out of ideas, thought maybe the data rate was mangled).
  • I stared at it, swore at it, walked around it, and re-read the "what if" documentation that I had on the printer

Nothing.

Solution

I changed the DPI / Resolution on the scan to a higher DPI / Resolution.  Which one?  300 DPI, I think.  ?

The change apparently slowed down the scan "just enough" and Poof!  Problem gone.

Frankly, it surprised me when changing the DPI / resolution worked on the 8740, but I was stuck on the scan data rate messing with the results and thought, "Yeah, try this."

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.