Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4680
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a very old problem.  I want to set my scan path to something different from the default.

The default goes to Microsoft's onedrive, which I never use, if possible.

I have tried numerous times to change the path in settings, but when I go back to HP Solutions Center, the default path is always there.  

How can I change this path permanently for my computer?  Is there a registry setting that I can change?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@technickel5

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

So, I did some research and it looks like the HP Solution Center would normally work, however, since it hasn't for you, here're the alternate options:

Use the printer page by Clicking on the printer icon on the screen and search for scan settings or alternatively, get to EWS page using the printer IPAdress, look for scan settings to make the necessary changes as per your preferences.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @technickel5,

Good Day.  Thank you for taking an interest in the HP community. I understand that you are facing issues scanning to the correct location on your computer. I will be really glad to assist you here. 🙂

Great description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂 You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you with it. I take it as a privilege to share this.

To assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Do you see the preview while scanning?
  • Did you try to change the default location on solution center software?

For now please uninstall the software by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Please ignore the Regedit option if it is not possible to do it.
  • Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-c4600-all-in-one-printer-series/37391...  and install it on the computer. Please ensure to select the correct operating system before installing it.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Now the scan options will be set to default which would be your computer. This should do the trick for you.

Please scan a document and preview it before saving it.

It will show you the default location in the lower part of the preview where you need to change it to the location that you want to save it in.

This document: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-photosmart-c4600-all-in-one-printer-series/3739148/model/373...  shows how to scan using even scan and copy which is better than solution center and works with Windows 10 seamlessly. 

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did all the steps, but I think you totally missed the point of my question. 

I want to CHANGE the default path for my scanned documents.  It still points to OneDrive, and I DO NOT want any documents to go there, EVER.  

I ALSO do not want to Browse and fix the path everytime I do a scan.

I WANT TO CHANGE THE DEFAULT PATH.

Thanks.

Stan

p.s. Please look at the Subject line for this question, it cannot be clearer, in my opinion:  HP Solution Scan does not allow me to set default path for scans

HP Recommended

@technickel5

It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I've reviewed your conversation and I understand that all you want to do is change the default "Scan to" location from OneDrive to anything else and here's what I recommend:

1. Search Windows for HP Solution Center, then click HP Solution Center in the list of results.

HP Solution Center opens.

2. Click Settings, click Scan Settings, then select Scan to...Setup.

3. In the Scan to...Setup window, select an available scan shortcut, then click Add to add the shortcut to the Front panel list (Scan to button) window.

4. Click Update the device to add the scan options to the printer control panel.

5. Set up other optional default scan job settings, such as scan shortcuts and preview options.

• Prompt for settings at the time of scan: Choose a specific Scan Picture or Scan Document scan shortcut each time you scan with HP Solution Center (recommended).

• Show preview scan: The HP software generates a preview of the scan. This lets you review the scan quality and make additional edits before the scan is complete (recommended).

• Prompt for settings when scanning from the control panel: Get a prompt for any changes you want to make to the scan settings before completing the scan job (recommended).

• Create a new custom scan shortcut: Review the default settings for a selected scan shortcut, change any basic settings as desired, then click Save Shortcut to name and save the shortcut.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did the steps you had, but the HP Solution Center does not allow any change to the path, even temporarily.  The path is permanent.  Everything goes to C:\Users\techs\OneDrive\Pictures\My Scans, no matter what I pick in the Browse window at the time I try to scan.

I also tried to set the path in Change Settings using the steps you provided.  Again, nothing doing, I could not change the path from C:\Users\techs\OneDrive\Pictures\My Scans.   I saved the shortcut as StanSavePath, but of course that didn't help.  The path remains C:\Users\techs\OneDrive\Pictures\My Scans, no matter what I tried to put in that window.

In the past, before re-installing this product, I was able to change the path temporarily, but that no longer works at all.

Version of HP Solution Center: 140.0.18.23

Back at ground zero.  

BTW, I am not able to use the Printer/Scanner button to Print to PC.  I get an error message on the printer that requires me to start the HP Solution Center from the PC and scan from there.

This is a very long-term problem for me.  I was hoping someone could make the software work as it was supposedly designed to work.  

Anyway, I tried.  

HP Recommended

@technickel5

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

So, I did some research and it looks like the HP Solution Center would normally work, however, since it hasn't for you, here're the alternate options:

Use the printer page by Clicking on the printer icon on the screen and search for scan settings or alternatively, get to EWS page using the printer IPAdress, look for scan settings to make the necessary changes as per your preferences.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK Everyone.  All of your replies are correct solutions.  Somewhere along the way, I forgot to mark a box--maybe use the shortcut as default path.  I don't know which one.  In any case, I am thrilled to tell you that I finally got the scan to go where I want to go.  

Before this thread, I did not know about shortcuts or what they were used for.  

Now I know. 

Thanks to everyone who responded so patiently.

Thanks to HP employees.

HP Recommended

@technickel5

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for. 

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your persistence.  Finally got the problem solved.  

HP Recommended

So after all of this, please tell me the easiest answer to this. I have had so many problems with my HP Windows 10 Computer, they should've paid me to take it off their hands and the 3630 HP Printer that came with it! Never had this problem before with any cheap printer from Walmart or is it the Windows 10 (which I hate)...either or...is there any way you can sort through all the nonsense above for an Old Lady so I can stop the OneDrive thingy, too? So aggravating. Thank you ahead of time. 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.