Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
m479fdw

Hello,

The HPScan.exe application states "Scanner communication cannot be established..." however using Twack 32 i can make the scanner work. HP Print and Scan Doctor fails for HP Twain. I've reinstalled the full software solution  multiple times with clearing out all HP related folders and drivers/packages. I've also disabled all antivirus and added additional firewall rules for HPscan.exe. I've also used 123.hp.com which simply re-downloaded the same driver I already had. I've also tried an older driver form 2020.

I'm unable to use HP Smart doe to the OS version not having Windows store.

I can print to, gather information from and edit any part of the printer configuration via the wired network and static IP address.

Again, Twack32 can force the hpscan app to work (show ui and scan successfully) but I should NOT have to make my users do this.

Driver: HP LaserJet Pro M479fdw/M479fnw Printer Full Software Solution version 48.6.4638_1 from Dec 14, 2022.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello SumterIT,

If possible, you can check on a second computer: if that other computer works fine with the scanner, that is the confirmation the problem is something on that specific PC.

Also, you can check Wndows services and make sure Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) is set to Automatic and status is Running

Andcr_0-1675991290421.png

Andcr_1-1675991341600.png

Another option will be to start from scratch: uninstall printer from control panel, uninstall printer drivers and then reboot. After that, you use a tool called PARK (Print Administrator Resource Kit) to completely remove printer DLL files from your computer. PARK is found on https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/UPD/4157320/model/4157320 under Software-Universal Print Driver

Andcr_2-1675991553656.png

You download the file and then do the following:

• Unzip the file.
  • Open "RemovePlugPlayDrivers" folder.
  • Run "RemovePnPDrivers64.exe".
  • Check "Enable Driver Removal" and hit Next.
  • For "HP Universal Print Drivers Only" being selected, make sure all boxes are checked then hit Remove

Andcr_3-1675991829507.png

• For "All HP Print/Scan/Fax Drivers" you look for all iterations of Laserjet M479fdw from that long list, check them and hit Remove (for this example I checked some other Laserjet, but hopefully the image explains the process)

Andcr_4-1675992238079.png

• You will see other printer models get automatically checked, but that is normal as the driver file is sometimes shared. You can proceed with removal.
  • Restart computer, check WIA service status as Running and then install Full Software Solution again.

If problem persists and your printer is still under warranty, you can call HP tech support to do such full reinstall and further inspection if needed.

I am an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.