Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP 8720

I lost my "copy" shortcut icon. How do I get it back?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@bstump

A very warm welcome to the HP community. A very good day to you. 

I understand that you have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8720 All-in-One Printer. I read that the copy shortcut icon is missing. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Usually, a copy is made from the printer front panel. Is the copy icon missing from the printer screen?

Use the Copy menu on the printer control panel to select copy settings and start the copy job.

What operating system are you using on our computer? So that we can try a firmware update/ on the printer.

1. From the Home screen on the printer control panel, touch Copy.

2. Select Document, ID Card, or Photo.

3. Swipe to the desired number of copies, or touch the keypad, and then input a number.

4. Under Tray Selection, select the tray and paper size.

5. Under 2-Sided, you can select 1- or 2-sided copying.

6. Touch Touch to Preview, and then touch the preview to edit the image; from the Edit screen, you can crop, resize, and adjust the contrast of the copy.

Touch Done to return to the copy screen.

If you're using the Windows operating system then please perform a firmware update on your printer via this link. You cna check for updating the firmware update directly from the printer by referring to page no. 28 of the user guide.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted on the results. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Usually, a copy is made from the printer front panel. Is the copy icon missing from the printer screen

Yes, that copy icon is missing

HP Recommended

@bstump

Thanks for replying. 🙂

Let me know how it goes after performing the suggested steps from my previous post. 

Cheers! 

HP Recommended

I cannot press the copy icon becasue it is no longer there, that is the problem

Can I reset to factory default or something?

HP Recommended

@bstump

If the firmware update could not get the copy icon then yes, you may reset the printer to its original settings. I have sent you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. 

I hope this does the trick. Good luck!

HP Recommended

I did not receive a private message - please attempt again

HP Recommended

This is easy to resolve without resetting your printer to defaults. Start by using a web browser to directly access the printer's web interface. The address is "https://192.168.1.60". If that doesn't work your printer may be set to a different IP address within your home network. You can find the printer's address using the front panel. Just pull down the control menu at the top, go to the "Info" tab, and the IP address is shown next to a wi-fi icon.

Once you bring up the printer interface in your web browser click "Settings" in the menu bar across the top. Now look along the left side and click "Security". In the sub-menu click "Control Panel Shortcuts". There are instructions above a table containing checkboxes for each possible shortcut. You can choose which ones to display and what order they are displayed in. When you click the "Apply" button at the bottom the changes are applied immediately and you will see the changes on the control panel.

I hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Power cycle the printer.

I don't know why it (or any other of the icons) disappears in the first place, but that brings them all back for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.