Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Scanjet 200
macOS 10.14 Mojave

The OS can see the scanner:

HP Scanjet 200:

Product ID: 0x1c05
Vendor ID: 0x03f0 (Hewlett Packard)
Version: 7.03
Serial Number: [edit]
Speed: Up to 480Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Location ID: 0x14340000 / 6
Current Available (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

But neither the latest version of EasyStart or Easyscan can see the scanner. What can I do to solve this problem?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@apGwallter,

Thank you for reaching out to the HP Support community!

• Are you using any USB hub/connector to connect the Scanjet to the MAC?
  • Do you have any security software or antivirus installed on your MAC(sometimes security software might block certain devices connected)

Let's check if the Scanjet is detected on the MAC using the USB cable.

• From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.  
  • Click System Report.
  • Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

• USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus.
  • The Scanjet should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

If the Scanjet is not listed, try connecting the Scanjet to a different USB port on the MAC.

Check if it gets detected on the MAC using the above steps.

If you are using any USB hub, then try to connect the Scanjet directly to the MAC without the hub.

Also, check if there are any new updates available for Mojave.

• Click on the Apple menu and select System Preferences.

https://lithium-response-prod.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/hpcsc.response.lithium.com/RESPONSEIMAGE/f7c15f07-add9-4c5d-96f0-d9c759a89917.default.jpg

• Click Software Update to check for updates.
  • If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them.

When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, macOS and all of its apps are also up to date.

Once the device is detected, try to add the Scanjet on to your MAC using Apple Software Update feature

• Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences.

• Click Printers & Scanners or Print & Scan.
  • If your printer is listed, click the name of your printer, then click the minus signhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/161/c01861703.gif to delete the printer. 
  • Click the plus signhttps://support.hp.com/doc-images/466/c03678294.gif, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer.
  • Click the Use or Print Using menu, then select the name of your printer

• Click Add to add the printer/scanner to the list.
  • Try to Scan.

Let me know if this information helps. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “KudosThumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for a very full reply. I have worked through it in detail.

1. The scanner is detected by the Mac with the data shown in my question. I have switched to the other USB socket on the Mac, and the device is still visible.

2. I have checked again and the system is claimed to be up to date.

3. The scanner is still not visible in the Printers & Scanners window.

4. Neither HP Easy Start nor HP Easy Scan can see the scanner.

5. System Information still shows the scanner on USB 3.1 Hub.

6. Malwarebytes was present but not active, but I deleted it and rebooted before following your instructions

Weird! Scanner worked fine on Win 7 in VirtualBox on Linux - now no longer accessible.

HP Recommended

@apGwallter,

• Under the system preferences menu, when you click on the '+' sign, does the Scanjet show up?
  • The USB port to which the Scanjet is connected, is that a USB 2.0 port or USB 3.0?
    • If you have a USB 2.0 port on the MAC, try connecting the Scanjet to that port instead of the 3.0 port.

Also, refer to this document for troubleshooting USB connection issues on your MAC.

Let me know what happens.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The scanner was plugged into one of the USB 3 sockets on the Mini. I have connected it to a powered USB 2 hub. Again System Report can see the scanner, this time connected to USB 2 hub.

System Preferences Printers and Scanners does not see the scanner, and pressing the + button does not enable me to find it.

I shall work through the steps in the reference that you give when I have more time tomorrow (although I have already updated to the current version of Easy Scan).

HP Recommended

@apGwallter,

• On your MAC, are there any USB 2.0 ports that you can directly connect and check?

It is not recommended to use a USB hub for printers/scanners as some of the features may not function properly.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The Mac is the latest Mini with 2 USB 3 ports and 4 USB-C ports. The scanner is connected to one of the USB 3 ports.

Since the Mac detects the scanner - About This Mac / System Report / USB Device Tree / HP Scanjet 200, giving serial number etc. - it's difficult to believe that there is an issue with the USB connection. Rather, to me it would appear that either OS X drivers or scanner firmware is the issue.

PS I only introduced the powered USB 2 hub briefly as an alternative approach, but with no expectation that it would work.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@apGwallter,

I am not sure if the Scanjet is compatible with USB 3.0. Let me do some research on this and I will get back to you on this when I have an update for the same.

Cheers!

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"I am not sure if the Scanjet is compatible with USB 3.0. Let me do some research on this and I will get back to you on this when I have an update for the same."

Would welcome further clarification on this point.

HP Recommended

@apGwallter,

This issue may occur if there was any antivirus or internet security software that was previously installed and may not have been removed completely from the MAC.

This may block certain devices/features on the MAC.

You had mentioned that the Malware bytes was installed previously. There are chances that the program may not have been removed completely from your MAC.

Let's try to install the Malware bytes again and uninstall it completely so that there are no traces of programs left on your MAC.

• Install the Malware Bytes on your MAC
  • Follow the uninstallation procedure on your MAC mentioned in this document. Do not trash the application.
  • Please contact the manufacturer/vendor to confirm that the malware Bytes is completely uninstalled.
  • Restart the MAC and the printer.
  • Check if you can add the printer to the MAC

Let me know what happens.

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.