Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

my HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 does not recognize my Lenovo laptop when trying to scan. I can print from my the laptop or my phone but it tells me my laptop is not connected when trying to scan.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @AMA50,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds like your HP OfficeJet Pro 8715 printer is having trouble specifically with the scanning function in relation to your Lenovo laptop. Here are some steps you can take to try to resolve this issue:

Check Scanner Driver: Ensure that the scanner driver is installed on your Lenovo laptop. Sometimes, separate drivers are required for printing and scanning functionalities.

Update Printer Firmware and Software:

• Visit the HP website and download the latest drivers for your OfficeJet Pro 8715.
  • Install any updates available for your printer’s firmware as well.

Enable Scan to Computer:

• On your HP printer, there might be a setting that allows you to "Enable Scan to Computer". This setting sometimes needs to be activated manually.
  • You can usually find this option on the printer’s control panel under the scan settings.

Check Network Connection:

• Since you mentioned that the printer does not recognize the laptop, make sure both devices are on the same network. Sometimes, printers have issues connecting over different subnets or bands (2.4 GHz vs. 5 GHz).

Reinstall HP Software:

• Uninstall and then reinstall the HP printing software on your Lenovo laptop. This can help clear up any corrupt files or settings that are causing the scan function to fail.

Check Firewall and Security Settings:

• Sometimes, firewall or security settings on your laptop might prevent communication between your laptop and printer. Check your antivirus and firewall settings to ensure that they aren’t blocking the printer.

Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• HP offers a diagnostic tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor, which can be downloaded from the HP website. This tool can help diagnose and resolve scanning issues.

Direct Connection:

• If you are using a network connection, try connecting the laptop directly to the printer using a USB cable to see if the issue persists. This can help determine if the problem is network-related.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.