Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2810e All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 11

I cannot open files  which I have saved  as .docx after scanning. (With  HP Smart on my Deskjet 2810e.) I use Word 365 to open them.. 

i get this message: 

hans_peter2_0-1713803765528.png

I hope that anybody can be wise to the notification even though it is in Swedish.

Why can't I open them?

K.r.

/hans peter

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@hans_peter2 

Hans, the translation would have been easier for you, I think.

Smiling.

I did get the following from Google Translate after typing the message using an American keyboard:

Original -

Det gick inte att oppna filen
forsok med nagot av foljande
kontrollera behorigheterna for dokumentet eller enheten
kontrollera att det finns tillrackligt med ledigt minne och diskutrymme
oppna filen med textaterstallningsverktyget
(C:\Users\...\2024-04-22_165850.docx)

Result - Translated

The file could not be opened

try some of the following:

Check the permissions for the document or device

Check that there is enough free memory and disk space

Open the file with the text editor

(C:\Users\...\2024-04-22_165850.docx)

======================================

I would guess the HP Smart scan shortcut software did not fully translate the input (scanned content) into a readable format that MIcrosoft 365 can manage.

What to do?

I would guess a paid (or possibly free) Scan / Conversion software might do a better job.

HP Smart is clever as are the HP Smart Shortcuts -- that said, perhaps it is not clever enough, at least not in Swedish??

You could try a different flavor of Word (older??) -- or perhaps try opening the Word (.docx) file online using Microsoft's free online Word software (if such is available in your region).

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi again, Dragon-Fur!

None of the suggestions that I receive in the message can be used
I have the following options to choose the file format before saving:

hans_peter2_0-1713871739257.png

All scanned copies can be opened, except Word documents (*.docx).

If I choose to save a scanned document as .pdf, I can convert that file to .docx in another program. Why can't HP Smart do the same right from the beginning? Is it a bug?

I think it's extremely strange.

/hans peter

HP Recommended

@hans_peter2 

I'm sorry it's not working.

I would do as you have done -- scan as PDF and convert using the proper software for the task.

I don't have access to the code -- I cannot judge "bug".

Sure, could be a weak spot in the code.

I will forward your comments to our Moderators -- whether they will need more information depends on the situation.  Should there be a response, the agent will comment here before using other means to contact you.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.